Howdy!

Howdy, Glenda! I was worried that I was the only memebr of the Daniels Co. group. I’m very new to ownership of mineral rights & leases, so I can’t help you … except to say that I recently inherited some oneral rights with only half of the necessary paperwork to track down how much, where, & what is happening on the land I have the mineral rights on. I can relate to your concern. Do you live in Daniels Co.?

No, I do not live in Mt. My grandparents homesteaded in Daniels County many years ago. I am now left with 1/5 of a 1500 acre parcel of mineral/oil rights. I will be in Mt. soon and will be seeing a lawyer to file paper work to secure my interests. My situation sounds a bit easier then yours. Good Luck.

Hi Glenda, good to hear from you! Yes, after I wrote my response to your note I remember that you said that you don't live in Mt. Perhaps your trip to Mt. & meeting with a lawyer would help me & my family, IF the lawyer does title searches. I know you're going to secure your interests, but our situations ARE similar. How did you find the name of your lawyer? Could you please let me know if you thought that your lawyer did a good job for you? If so, I will call him & ask him if he would work on our title situation. I would rather do that, using a lawyer who someone else has "test-driven" than just call a lawyer blindly from the phone book.

Who knows - maybe we both inherited some lucky land & the shale oil that oil ompanies are getting by fracturing (or "fracking", horizontal drilling) will earn us enough to pay our legal fees!

Again, good to hear from you, & a Very Pleasant Surprise! I hope you have a good trip & a good outcome.

Hello Glenda,

My grandparents also homesteaded in Daniels County. Our family owns the MR to 940 acres just west of Whitetail

and just recently started receiving leasing bids. Have any landmen or oil companies gotten in touch with you yet?

Glenda K. Coleman said:

No, I do not live in Mt. My grandparents homesteaded in Daniels County many years ago. I am now left with 1/5 of a 1500 acre parcel of mineral/oil rights. I will be in Mt. soon and will be seeing a lawyer to file paper work to secure my interests. My situation sounds a bit easier then yours. Good Luck.

NO contact from anyone; I’m not sure they would even know who to contact at this point. Is your property listed with the Daniels Co. courthouse? I’m afraid I’m going to have to hire to hire a lwayer to do a title search. Good to hear from you! I have alot to learn, so anyone’s experience broadens my knowledge!

John Backus said:

Hello Glenda,

My grandparents also homesteaded in Daniels County. Our family owns the MR to 940 acres just west of Whitetail

and just recently started receiving leasing bids. Have any landmen or oil companies gotten in touch with you yet?

Glenda K. Coleman said:

Yes Cameron our property is listed with a clear title We were contacted by a Marc Pederson from Shale Exploration Who have a brand new office in Scobie. He offered 150/12.5%/5yr+5yr and said he would not Entertain a counter proposal. I think we can do better

Thanks much for that info, John! More power to you in holding out for better!!! I bet they’ll come around.

John Backus said:

Yes Cameron our property is listed with a clear title
We were contacted by a Marc Pederson from Shale Exploration
Who have a brand new office in Scobie.
He offered 150/12.5%/5yr+5yr and said he would not
Entertain a counter proposal.
I think we can do better

Does anyone know the name of a reputable lawyer who specializes in Title Searches in Daniels Co.?

On this website I noticed an ad for a company that does title searches..... but I also saw an article about companies who look for titles that are old or improper, & then the company manages to take ownership of the land or mineral rights. So I am reluctant to contact the company that advertised to do a title search!

Thanks~~

Our family has worked with Jordan A. Fosland, Attorney at Law 217 Main St., PO Box 669, Scoby, MT 59263. Our most recent contact was in 2008 so I am assuming he still is in practice. He has worked with our family for many years and I would recommend him. Phone # 406-487-2702.

Cameron Forfar said:

Does anyone know the name of a reputable lawyer who specializes in Title Searches in Daniels Co.?

On this website I noticed an ad for a company that does title searches..... but I also saw an article about companies who look for titles that are old or improper, & then the company manages to take ownership of the land or mineral rights. So I am reluctant to contact the company that advertised to do a title search!

Thanks~~

Thanks so much, Harold! We will certainly call him! :slight_smile:

Good Morning Cameron,

I have not paid a lot of attention to the Blog lately but was refreshing my "memory" about this....

Did you find a lawyer? I have and so far am pleased. He is presently completing work for us to secure my interests. I feel like we are receiving the help we needed. Let me know. If you need someone still I will be glad to share his name with you.

G. coleman

Hi, Glenda! Thanks much for asking! I thought I had found a good lawyer. I sent him paperwork showing ownership & the plot locations a good 2 months ago, but I have not heard back from him. I am getting ready to call him. So far I'm not impressed with his work! Could you please share the name of your attorney with me, & maybe then we'll be on the road to getting the title clarified for my family! Thanks again for your kindness!!

Cam

I would prefer to use email.......contact me at terryscottiecole@aol.com if you do not receive a satisfactory answer from your present lawyer.

Cameron Forfar said:

Hi, Glenda! Thanks much for asking! I thought I had found a good lawyer. I sent him paperwork showing ownership & the plot locations a good 2 months ago, but I have not heard back from him. I am getting ready to call him. So far I'm not impressed with his work! Could you please share the name of your attorney with me, & maybe then we'll be on the road to getting the title clarified for my family! Thanks again for your kindness!!

Cam