Howard County Texas, minerals

I have been contacted by a Bill Umstead of Y3 Ranches, LLC wanting to purchase mineral interest I own in Howard County. I wasn't aware I owned any. He said he had his land man found us thru titles and found my relatives this belongs to. He had all the right names of my grandfather, uncles, father, his sisters, me and my siblings. This is located in

Section 3, Block 33, Township 1 South in Howard County.

He wanted to buy these for $13,000.00. He said he can send papers and we will have a check next week. I don't think so. How do I find out if this is true or a scam? Also In the Houston Chronicle Sunday there is a huge write up about Howard County and the minerals there.The $13,000.00 sounds like a rip off if we do own the mineral rights compared to what is in the paper and the research we have found so far. We do not want to sell if they are truly ours, but interested in how to find out where this is and if we are legally heirs and how many acres are in this Section. Any help would be appreciated.

Judy,

Your minerals are in a prime area. There are 4 approved permitted locations for horizontals wells next door to the East. Also several other permitted locations to the North. Encana, Athlon and SM Energy seem to be the main players in this area. My opinion is do not sell these minerals.

Production Data on well API 227-38601 to the South of Section 3 about a mile:(2 pages)

http://webapps2.rrc.state.tx.us/EWA/specificLeaseQueryAction.do?tab...

GIS Map of Howard County A-303/Section 3/Block 33T1 and surrounding area:

CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

Judy,,,a Section of land is generally 640 acres.

Clint Liles

Thank you for the map, I'm not quite sure how to read it. No we aren't going to sell it.

Can you tell me how to find out how and who we inherited this from or how to find that information?

How do I find out how many acres this may be, I just have so many unanswered questions.

Your help is very appreciated

Judy,

I would contact the Howard County/County Clerk office.

http://www.co.howard.tx.us/default.aspx?Howard_County/County.Clerk

If they can't help you you may have to hire a Landman to find out that information for you. That same person will be able to tell you how many acres are involved. If you owned the surface acres you or some of your relatives wold be getting a property tax bill from Howard County every year. On that tax bill would be the number of acres. Congratulations on your possible new inheritance and good luck with your minerals.

The black lines on the map indicate Horizontal wells and the blue circle at the end of the line is for approved permitted locations.

http://wwwgisp.rrc.state.tx.us/GISViewer2/GISViewer/docs/Public_GIS_Viewer_Legend.pdf

Clint Liles

Judy,

Clint is very good at keeping up with just about everything. He's been helping with lots of drilling information and leasing advice. Plus, he knows how to search the Texas Railroad Commission better than most people... and that says something. Our family has minerals in section 5 and 45 and recently leased our land (for the second time) to Hannathon. We're hoping for some drilling in 2017.

Judy,

That map appears to be of T1N, your property is in T1S, about 12mi south of that map.

It's still a good area, my place is in the same township.

You do need professional advice for these matters. A lot of money is at stake.

Joe H. Smith

Joe,

Thanks for your Eagle Eye. I missed the S part of the Block number. And my apologies to you Judy for pulling up the wrong Map. But as Joe says you are still in a very good area of Howard County. Oxy USA is a major player in the area of your minerals. This Completion Report is for well API 227-38633(good oil and gas well) close by to your minerals:

http://webapps.rrc.texas.gov/CMPL/viewPdfReportFormAction.do?method...

Production Data on Well API 227-38633:

http://webapps2.rrc.state.tx.us/EWA/specificLeaseQueryAction.do?tab=init&viewType=prodAndTotalDisp&methodToCall=fromGisViewer&pdqSearchArgs.paramValue=|2=09|3=2015|4=08|5=2016|103=47664|6=O|102=08|8=specificLease|204=district|9=dispDetails|10=0

GIS Map of Howard Co. Section 3/Block 33 T1S/A-359 and surrounding area:

CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

Thanks again Joe for the Eagle Eye.
Clint Liles

Anytime, old doodlebuggers like me are used to looking at maps and can almost sense when one isn't quite right.

Just a note to all here, this is a very big money game, not for amatuers to be messing around with.

If you own mineral interests; 1. Educate yourself about what you own and 2. Get someone honest and knowledgeable to advise you before you sign any lease. Many of these landmen are about two notches below used car peddlers and won't hesitate to skin you while smiling all the way to the bank.

Just a word to the wise!

Joe H. Smith

Joe,

I like your way of telling it like it is.

Clint Liles

Clint,

I have had the unique perspective of being in the geophysical services business for over 50 years while at the same time being a land/royalty owner in Howard County.

I have forgotten more about this business than many think they know.lol

I appreciate your trying to keep these folks on a proper course.

Joe

This happened to me and my sister and cousins in May. DO NOT SELL! If he is offering 13,000 then that means there are funds in suspense. There could be a lot of money in the account and if you sell you will sign away the rights to that money. My sister and cousins buckled under the pressure of selling and the offers of checks. I didn't. I received my portion of the suspended funds that were way more than was offered, plus I will get royalties for as long as the wells are pumping. Do your research and hire an oil and gas attorney. It is worth it, I promise.

Joe,

Sounds like you have the experience to back up your words of wisdom.

Keep on Keepin on..........................

Clint Liles

Judy,

I agree with you...."hire an oil and gas attorney"

Clint Liles