How to value mineral rights

Hi Folks,

I understand from what I have read so far that it is difficult to determine a value on non-producing mineral rights. That said, does anyone know how I can source reasonably accurate information on how to value my interests for the purpose of selling?

I value non producing mineral rights in Wyoming for attorneys doing probate. I utilize information from the Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (WOGCC) regarding historic wells, OG plats and much other information. The BLM and State of Wyoming web sites provide information regarding the competitive leasing of their minerals which includes a copy of the lease indicating the Lessee and the bonus paid for the lease.

As an example, if industry paid a bonus of $35.00 per net mineral acre; I would probably value the net present value of the nearby fee minerals at 2.5 to 3 times bonus or around $100.00 nma. If there is no activity or the bonus amount is very low (minimum of $2.00 nma) the NPV might be around $20.00 nma if there has been historic activity even as long ago as 60 or 70 years.

The recent downturn in oil prices in many cases has had a tremendous effect on leasing. A 2013 lease of federal minerals brought a winning bid of $125 nma. The February 2015 auction of acreage in the same section was for $40 nma.

Jerry