How to see trail for old division order

I have a division order that we found in my mother in laws papers after she past away, it is 42-501-013184 and dated March 17, 1987, how do I track down later divisions, do I need to go to Yoakum County? Would she have mineral rights for all of the sections listed in this division order?

Not necessarily. You would need to search the legals listed in the division order to see exactly what you own.

Wade,

on page 3 of the division order it list Willard unit covering production from the Wasson Field Tract 49 and then list all of 13 different sections of land and then part of about 10 more. Then under interest and type it shows .00028940 ORRI under my "mother in laws" name. I was hoping to see if the family should be getting more from the oil companies without spending too much of my own funds. On the RRC site it shows 696 wells on that tract but we only get a very small royalty payment every couple of years. Do I need to see a lawyer? Is there someone on the forum that can lead me down the correct path. I can scan the division order and email if needed.

Robert,
I would start by trying to find the document that created the ORRI. It should describe the properties. Then, if those properties got put into a unit, it takes some more digging. Send me a Friend request.

I found another division order for another 1/2 section from April 10th 1953, I also have a document dated the 22nd august 1952 where her mother gave her 1/6 th of 1/8 th of the royalties off of all of section 702. Does this mean I should go to Yoakum County Courthouse and start looking? Is there someone who does this for a reasonable fee, maybe a contingency fee. I have 2 kids in college and my funds are limited at this time.

I also noticed that the division orders state a maximum depth, does this mean if someone wants to drill deeper they have to get a new lease from the owners?

Wade Caldwell said:

Robert,
I would start by trying to find the document that created the ORRI. It should describe the properties. Then, if those properties got put into a unit, it takes some more digging. Send me a Friend request.

Google Yoakum County deed records to see if any of them are online. If not, you will have to get a local title company to find them for you. Pay the fee rather than giving someone a part of your minerals just for looking up records.