How to respond to title requirements on a division order?

I received a division order from Devon that has a title requirement that states that my Grandfather sold some of his mineral rights to a lady named Ellen C. Murphy. The title examiner seems to hope that she was his wife. She wasn't, as far as I know he only had 3 wives--if she was also his wife that would have been 4 wives.

The title examiner wants something that shows how my Grandfather got the interest back from her. I have no proof of anything regarding this to offer Devon. How do I respond to this? Do I just sign the division order?

Payne County Land records show that Ellen C Murphy was married to a W B Murphy.

There are 3 pages of various transactions involving Ellen C Murphy. If this were my property, I would research the deeds involving your grandfather, and also Ellen C Murphy, and see what I could find. They are available online:

http://24.173.220.139/payne/SearchMain.aspx

Personally, I would never just sign something without some reasonable amount of research, whether I did that myself or hired someone to do it.

Henry, if Devon paid you consideration for all the acreage including the interest in question you would be responsible to furnish the documents to receive your full percentage of production. As it sounds like you do not have the documentation, Devon would adjust accordingly. You could also have some research done, or do some yourself to see if there is any other way to handle this. E.G. Quit Claim Deed, Quiet Title Suit, etc.

Henry, I recommend Attorney Charles McBride in Stillwater, OK 405-624-9990 and he has recommended Landman Monte Hoffman 405-842-1930.

Thanks a lot. I did not know my Grandfather had so many wives!

JW Anderson said:

Payne County Land records show that Ellen C Murphy was married to a W B Murphy.

There are 3 pages of various transactions involving Ellen C Murphy. If this were my property, I would research the deeds involving your grandfather, and also Ellen C Murphy, and see what I could find. They are available online:

http://24.173.220.139/payne/SearchMain.aspx

Personally, I would never just sign something without some reasonable amount of research, whether I did that myself or hired someone to do it.