How to research mineral ownership my mother possibly had

Hi, all, I am brand new here. I received a request to purchase mineral rights that apparently belonged to my mother, which my sister and I did not know about, as they weren’t transferred into ownership by her living trust as her others were (those are located in Williams and Divide counties here in ND). I am looking for information about these rights and understand from the company offering to purchase, that my mother had entered into an oil and gas lease agreement with Continental Resources back in April 2008, leasing her mineral interest in the E/2 of Section 8, Township 25 North, Range 56 East, in the county of Richland, state of MT. Continental gave me information that they don’t have a lease with her, and don’t operate in that area. I have no idea, other than hiring a lawyer or a landman, how to research if my mother owned mineral rights in that exact area. I called Richland County Recorder office, and all I got there was “you need a lawyer”. Any ideas or advice?

Looks like you haven’t gotten a response. I can’t help you on North Dakota but think you might have better luck posting your question under the two counties you mentioned.

At the top of this page click the heading marked “Counties”, then pick North Dakota from the list and go to those two counties. You can cut and paste your same question there.

Thanks, I did also post this in the Richland County MT area. After my post, my mother’s lawyer found that they overlooked this area and it is owned by her trust. They have contacted an associate who is licensed in MT and he will be creating the distribution order for Richland County for this. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.