How to handle inherited mineral rights in WY

Hi everyone. I am such a novice to this. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and apparently my grandmother owned mineral rights to many acres in Goshen co. WY. Her sons have also passed, so that leaves me and my two cousins as heirs. The mineral rights were not mentioned in her will or in her trust. I am not sure if she forgot about them or not. We did find in her paperwork, an Amendment to a lease with a gas/oil company created in 2010, so I know that she has leased in the past. Can someone point me in the right direction? I think I have some right to the mineral rights with my cousins. How do I find out for sure? How do I get title transferred into our names, the heirs? How do I know if there is a current lease and/or any royalties? Thank you so much for your time to answer my questions and to help me. Again I am a complete novice to this idea.

You will likely need to get the estate probated and ultimately deeded from the estate to you and your cousins. You will likely need a lawyer to help out with this. We work closely with Kris Koski at Long Reimer and found him to be exceptionally helpful in these types of instances. His contact information is below:

https://lrw-law.com/?attorney=kris-c-koski

1 Like

I hope everything goes well with your search. There was a lot of leasing in Goshen back around 2010, but nothing since until the last 6 months or so. See this thread for the current activity.

1 Like