How to find who's contact names are on properties?

I have been trying, very unsuccessfully to find out how to update contact info for O&M ownership, that dates back to the 1920’s. I need my contact info added, and I cannot get any county clerks’ offices to just tell me what they see. I have partial data, as some is from so long ago, that where you input the info, it clearly did not have certain details,from back then. Landsmen have not been helpful, they need the same. I have very yellowed paperwork dating all the way back. I was told that large oil companies can do this for large amounts of money. I was told to “drop by”, I don’t live in Texas. I have properties in Liberty, Edward’s and Galveston counties. Naturally I would like to find companies to drill, if possible. Even if they want to, they might find it hard to contact me. I am trying to fix all this. In the olden days, if they couldn’t find owners, after 6 months, they could still drill- who would know? Any names for landsmen who could do this, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Documents are filed in deed records as evidence of chain of title of a particular tract, from one person to the next, over time. There are not a centralized listing of owners in a tract. It is up to the owners to update title records to be current. For example, A owns and dies, then probate or certified copy is filed in deed records to prove title transfer to heirs. If there is no will or probate, then there are alternative ways to establish title such as affidavits. If the heirs sell or transfer to a trust, then deed will show ownership. If heirs die, then again the probate issue. You can trace the ownership by starting with the name of your grandparent or other relative in the 1920’s and see if there is a deed(s) into that name to get a legal description(s). And to see if there is probate or other transfer out of your relative into the next owner. This is something you can research on-line. Be sure to look for variances in spelling or initials in case an entry is referenced incorrectly. Once there are no further transfers, then you will need to establish title from that owner forward. You can get certified copy of probate and file in the counties or you will have to file affidavits. A oil and gas attorney or landman can help you with this process.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’m sorry I am just seeing this now. Would you happen to have names of landmen in Galveston and Edward’s counties that could help me move this all along. There are so many deceased since te 1920’s and so many that probably aren’t even following all this in which to change deeds, etc… Do I have to call around and see who’s still around and who even cares if they even own .0004 % ? What would happen then if an oil company were interested? Do they just give up or do they drill knowing no one would even know? Thank you for any advice.

Catherine

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.