How to find a lease

My father who recently passed had some mineral rights in Wayne County and four others. Quitclaim deeds have now put ownership in the trust and I am the trustee. I need to find out if the rights are leased and by who. Can anyone tell me how to figure this out? I’m in Oregon and I’m hoping for a lead so I can get accounts reconciled. Thanks

Hi rbergio, sorry to hear about your father. Illinois has an oil and gas gis map that will allow you to view the areas where you have ownership and see if there are any active wells . https://prairie-research.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=af7f150b9ec348d3860b1d225bffb035

Finding wells isn’t a definite answer to the leasing question. The county courthouse records would have to be searched by a land-man to really trace the activity for the areas where you have mineral rights.

In some states, the more recent documents are available online. In some states, you can find the whole lease by searching on the Lessor’s name and in other states you can only get a memorandum of lease. However the memorandum will give the basics of location, royalty, addresses of parties, etc.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.