How to discover percentage

I found the will of my moms dated in 95 It lists 5 counties in Texas with legal descriptions and percentages, OR and RR But in fisher county all it lists is legal boundaries on 120 acres How to go about finding out percentages of owbership? To my knowledge there has never been a lease here

1 Like

Hi, Libberty. Congrats! Fisher is a great area. The full and true way to find out what percentage you own is to pull an abstract of each section you own in and then look at all of the deeds in your chain of title from when the State of Texas sold it to your mom. You can hire a landman to do this, but it is costly. A more measured approach would be for you to look for the county online public records and index the chain backwards. That means find the deed of who sold it to your mom (of who she inherited it from) and go backwards, looking at the deeds for every time it was sold/inherited until it got to you. Many online counties do not go all the way back, but any work you can do yourself gets you closer to the answer. If your intent is just to sell, then you can have whatever landman is helping the sale do that legwork. Good luck and let me know if you want to bounce any more ideas off me. :slight_smile:

My grandfather, my moms dad was a land manager from Oklahoma who managed all 101,000 acres for the 101 ranch way back in 1920’s When the stock market crashed he went to Texas during the “ oil rush” and purchased from each county mineral rights These mineral rights are mostly tiny in ector, Borden, fisher, andrews and one other that I can’t think of right off hand They’ve remained in our family passing from him to his two children then to my dad and on to my self and my sister My brother in law was executor of my dads estate which took all of 1998- 2006 to track down most of these rights but I’m thinking fisher was bypassed I’ve never seen a lease out of Fisher I will try to do the research but the maps are difficult cause I’m not sure of search terms Most have legal descriptions and percentages on mineral acres Fisher is just listed as a legal description with no percentages which I found odd Thank you for your ianswer

What’s the legal? I can try to shed some light from a title stand point and geologically.

121 1/2 acres out of the SW portion of sec 72 Block 1, H& TC Ry. Co. Survey, bounded as follows: Beginning at stk. SW corner of said sec 72, Thence N. 15 W. With W.B. line of said saction 827 1/2 Varas to stk. thence N 75 E 829 varas to stk. thence S. 15 E. 827 1/2 varas to stk in s.s. Line of said section , thence s. 75 w. 829 varas to place of beginning

Cool family story! Your best bet will be to search Fisher on texasfile.com and just search by your grandfather’s name to find the deed into him. Then search for the name of who sold it to him for when they bought it and so on. If it’s around the 20s you shouldn’t have to pull many. Legals on deeds that old are likely not input well if at all.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.