How to Claim Mineral Rights

My Grandad was a sole heir only child, he married once and my mother, an only child, was the result of that union. My parents had 3 children. I am the only one left alive. While looking on OK Land Records I found a person claiming to be an heir to my Granddad and collecting monies from an active lease. How can I claim those mineral rights. I have tried to contact her and asked in a just asking out of curiosity type way how she is related to my grandfather and she has ignored every call. Will putting in a Statement of Claim of Mineral Interest be effective with an Affidavit of Heirship?

First thing is to contact the Operator and inform them of your situation so they can place the interest in suspense until the issue has been resolved. That’s what I’d do prior to consulting with an attorney!

Thank you for your quick response and advice!

You should not delay in contacting an attorney to represent your interests. It seems that the oil company has accepted defective title and been paying royalties to someone else. It should not be your problem to collect the royalties from the claimant. However, there a factors such as the amount of time involved since the deaths, etc. You will need to pull from the deed records what the claimant has filed. Calling the oil company will not necessarily put the royalties into suspense. You will need to deliver documents such as the death certificates, probate from another state or county, and other information which establishes that your family owned the minerals and that they should have passed to you. This is likely not a do-it-yourself project.

2 Likes

This is worth some investment to research the title and facts. What County is this?

Thank you for the reply. I am definitely looking into it.

Thank you for your reply!