How to 101...please help

I know nothing about how to proceed. My best friend just found out that his grand farther left him the original mineral deeds dating back to 1950 for 5 sections of ground in BLK M & T just outside Brownfield in Terry County, Texas.

It took me a while to map the sections for him. But, now I don't know how to proceed to verify if their is activity on these sections and if so if there is any value to his mineral deeds. At my request Steve contacted his grand father's attorneys in Los Angeles and confirmed that he and his brother are the heirs and that the deeds are recorded.

How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance

Mont... in Tioga, ND

If there is existing production, there should be some record among grandads records; if no, since you have the section/block numbers you can go online to the Texas Railroad Commission or contract them by phone and find out if there has been or existing production. Also, call the county clerk's office in Brownfield and ask if the mineral interests have been leased. A couple of years ago, oil exploration companies were paying around $400 per net mineral acre for leases. If all else fails, give Bill McGowan, attorney, in Brownfield a call. Chances are he can answer any questions and probably knew grandad.

there is still leasing going on today in terry there area land men working in the court house ever time I have been there even last week . you can do everything you need to do your self.

Mont,

First take the video tutorial for the RRC's GIS Viewer at http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/video/texas-railroad-gis-tutorial. Note that when you go to the page for the viewer at http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/video/texas-railroad-gis-tutorial that there is an old and a new viewer - the tutorial is for the OLD viewer (which I think is easier to use than the new one). You'll be able to zoom in to the blocks and sections and see what permits/wells are there. (Be sure in the drop down menu to click on 'Identify Wells'). This can give you some info to work with before you contact the county clerk.

Note also that this doesn't show leases - just permits and well activity. If you'll take the time to learn your way around the GIS Viewer and the RRC website, there's lots of information there.

Good luck!

This article may help.

http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/profiles/blogs/i-may-own-minerals-so-now-what

Hello Paige

In section 18 BLK M; Steve and his brother own rights ( dated Nov 1, 1950) in the bottom 1/2 and NW 1/4. I don't have info on the % of interest in this section. But, on the map I copied it shows names and #'s in all 1/4's. ie; in the NW 1/4 L.E.HUDGENS A-1523. What does this mean to me?

As an aside...one of the 4 sections (#48) in BLK-T which they have a 1/820th interest in also contains the Brownfield Country Club...(M.V. BROWNFIELD A-578) Do you think we could get a tee time??

Thanks for the education....

Mont

Paige Johnston said:

Mont,

First take the video tutorial for the RRC's GIS Viewer at http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/video/texas-railroad-gis-tutorial. Note that when you go to the page for the viewer at http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/video/texas-railroad-gis-tutorial that there is an old and a new viewer - the tutorial is for the OLD viewer (which I think is easier to use than the new one). You'll be able to zoom in to the blocks and sections and see what permits/wells are there. (Be sure in the drop down menu to click on 'Identify Wells'). This can give you some info to work with before you contact the county clerk.

Note also that this doesn't show leases - just permits and well activity. If you'll take the time to learn your way around the GIS Viewer and the RRC website, there's lots of information there.

Good luck!

Hate to break it to you, but Brownfield CC dissolved about 10 years ago. Property is now privately owned...No more golf. :(

But, is there oil nearby??

RHH said:

Hate to break it to you, but Brownfield CC dissolved about 10 years ago. Property is now privately owned...No more golf. :(

Mont,

There is oil north of A-1523. Am posting a GIS map of A-1523 and surrounding area. The green dots to the north are oil wells and the green dots with the green slash through them are plugged oil wells. Also a lot of dry holes have been drilled in the area in the past.

Clint Liles

Mont,

I just realized that I had inadvertently pasted the same link twice above - here's the OLD GIS Viewer that I prefer. http://gis2.rrc.state.tx.us/public/startit.htm

In the Map Tools drop down, click on 'Identify Wells'. In the Counties dropdown, click on Terry county. Then click on Survey/Abstract, and in the popup, put Terry in the county box, enter 1523 in the A box, 18 in the Section box, and M in the Block box, then click Search. In the results, click on Map in the left column. This should take you to the section they have interest in, and you can 'zoom out' to see any activity around there. That particular section doesn't/hasn't had any activity, but there's been activity northwest a few miles and numerous dry holes around it. (Click on Legend to see what the symbols mean.)

The info on the map refers to the Abstract that was originally done in the late 1800's/early 1900s. "Way back when" this area was being settled, individuals and lots of railroad companies would survey the land - the original survey for this section was done by AB&M - that's the one that should be in the legal description of the land --- AB&M Survey, Block M, Section 18, Abstract 1523 - used in deeds, mineral leases, etc. (Block T, Section 48, Abstract 578 was surveyed by D&W Rail Road Company.) I've never understood what the 'Alternate Survey Name' (ex. J.E. Hudgens) is for - all the hundreds of legal documents I have use the original survey name.

Mont,

Here is a GIS map of A-578. Oil wells and plugged oil wells to the west and southwest.

Clint Liles

You guys/gals are super helpful.

The exact holdings of my friend Steve and his brother are .....in BLK M section 18 they have an interest in the South 1/2 and the NW 1/4...

In BLK T they own 1/820 of the rights to sections 37,38,47 and 48.

Clint...What do the icons in sections 38 and 47 indicate???

Thanks for all the help

Mont

They indicate dry holes...

Thanks RHH.

Is there any value in tracking who drilled and when? My friends rights have never been leased and date back to the1950's. Is there any current interest for leasing the rights in any of these sections?

Steve and brother only hold a fraction of the rights. How do I go about finding the entity who manages all of the factional interests?

Thanks again.

Mont

Does anyone know of any current activity or interest in section 18 in BLK M or sections 37, 38, 47, & 48 in BLK T ?

I need to let my friend know if he owns anything of value.

Thanks again .....Mont

Is there any interest in or value to the above mineral rights?

Thanks again Mont

mont rosenberg said:

Is there any interest in or value to the above mineral rights?

Thanks again Mont

mont I am not sure of the value of the minerals you speak of if you will call me I might help or even confuse you about what I know about terry county I grew from a child in Wellman and know many people in Terry today lots of stuff in the works around brownfield call if you like 575 808 3305 E DuBose,I talked to a friend in north D yesterday.

Hello Terry County...I've been off line for a while...moved to Minot, ND the wind doesn't blow as bad here...actually a nice friendly town on the edge of the bakken.

QUESTION...My friend Steve has a divided interest in mineral rights in Terry County. Is there anyway he can contact other people who own divided interests in the same parcels??? Who keeps that type of information?

Thanks in advance......Mont