How should I choose an attorney for specific needs?

Does it matter where I hire an attorney or the type of law firm?

Let's say I have property in Madison county but I presently live in another region five hours away. I have moved around a lot, have lived out of state before, and will probably move again. The last oil and gas attorney I hired was located within 50 miles of both my residence and my property at that time. He retired and I didn't bother finding another since things were quiet. Suddenly I need an an attorney (or possibly several) for some new issues that have popped up encompassing real estate, oil and gas, and probate law.

Does it matter where I look for an attorney? Can I just search in the area where I presently reside, which is what I would prefer, but not knowing how much longer I'll be here or where I'll be going next? Should I look for a law firm that might be able to provide experts in all three subjects or one attorney that can handle all three, or three different attorneys? Would it make a difference if the oil and gas attorney practices in the area where my property/minerals are located? Does the probate attorney need to be located in the county of the will of the deceased?

Thanks in advance for advice and/or suggestions.

You would be best served by an attorney in Madisonville that does oil and gas work and not only that he knows the history of who, what, where, when, etc. This is very important when knowing about the history of your property, its owner's, the landman (whose name I will not mention who came through the county back in the mid 20th century and took all those poor dirt farmers for rides on supposed "mineral leases", that ended up being royalty interests.

I think the best person to contact is Sonny Knight in Madisonville. He has done work for us, scares the other lawyers to death reminds me of John Wayne toilet paper (takes poop off of no one.)

I would suggest a local for probate. Depending on how complex your issues are would determine if I hired a local for my oil and gas issues. For lease and geneeal oil and gas issues a local will due fine. If it gets complex I would suggest a board certified oil and gas Attorney.