How much Oil is in the Bakken?

Hey all,

Check out the article in today's Minneapolis Star and Tribune with the headline: Oil estimates double: 7.4 billion barrels in N.D. and Montana. The web address is

http://www.startribune.com/business/205468311.html

I would say this is a super piece of good news for all with mineral rights in the Bakken and especially in the Three Forks formation. To quote from the article:

"Most of the additional oil and gas revealed Tuesday is in what's called the Three Forks formation, which lies about 100 feet below the better-known Bakken formation and has only recently been explored."

Look it up. It makes for a good read...and points to a super 25+ years of production and royalties...perhaps!!!

And, if any are looking for additional reading material, check out the March 2013 National Geographic. The cover offers a glimpse of the inside article: America Strikes Oil: The promise and risk of Fracking. Again, it makes for some good reading. Not much new material for those who have been following this site, yet good reading material none the less.

David:

I have always thought that the Three Forks is the new frontier and it will be interesting what this zone will produce as time goes on.

That's been my sense as well...and the Minneapolis article points to the Three Forks as where most think the majority of the oil and gas reserves are located. Thus, keep the day job...and hope for the best!!

charles s mallory said:

David:

I have always thought that the Three Forks is the new frontier and it will be interesting what this zone will produce as time goes on.