How does the Docket really work?

Our mineral rights are leased and on the April Docket (205-2012) for temporary spacing order. I follow the Weekly Activity Letters but I'm unable to correlate weekly activity to the Docket's Notice of Public Hearing. How does the Docket really work? Can you get a clue as to progress without actually being there?

Dan- I'm not the expert, maybe some of them will chime in. Its my understanding that its just a legality. I've some temporary spaced forever without any activity. At least a couple of years. The weekly activity is more up to date and will tell you that a permit has been issued and when the well is completed. The on-line date will tell you what progress the well is at ie...spudded, completed, producing. I have found it takes a lot of time fiddling with the parameters. What work best for me is I put in the township/range and search well activity that way. Hope this helps you.

After watching the BOGC Weekly Activity Letters for several months and not seeing the temporary spacing order approval, I searched the BOGC web site and found it in the Hearing Information Minutes and Recent Orders. So, for whatever reason, the approval was in the minutes but did not get into the weekly review.

Joanne G said:

Dan- I'm not the expert, maybe some of them will chime in. Its my understanding that its just a legality. I've some temporary spaced forever without any activity. At least a couple of years. The weekly activity is more up to date and will tell you that a permit has been issued and when the well is completed. The on-line date will tell you what progress the well is at ie...spudded, completed, producing. I have found it takes a lot of time fiddling with the parameters. What work best for me is I put in the township/range and search well activity that way. Hope this helps you.

The Weekly Activity Report shows the well name when the temporary spacing order is approved. The actual order does not. So because our interest section did not show up in the Weekly Activity Report we don't get benefit of a well name to search on. Is this how well confidentiality works? North Dakota publishes a Confidential Well List. That doesn't sound very confidential but I wonder if Montana has a similar list.

Dan-Just an FYI....temporary spacing units are a good thing....but actual permit to drill can still be a long way off.

When they issue a drill permit and you see it spudded on the history of the well......then you know progress is being made. Then after the well is drilled it can still be months before seeing any royalties. I'm still waiting on well that started to produce in February.

If you care to share the info, I could try and look around the site for you. I hope this helps.

T25N 57E S 17 How do you get well history without the well name/ID?

Joanne G said:

Dan-Just an FYI....temporary spacing units are a good thing....but actual permit to drill can still be a long way off.

When they issue a drill permit and you see it spudded on the history of the well......then you know progress is being made. Then after the well is drilled it can still be months before seeing any royalties. I'm still waiting on well that started to produce in February.

If you care to share the info, I could try and look around the site for you. I hope this helps.

Dan- Its a small world we live in. I also have a small portion of that section you reference. There was a vertical well drilled in the 80's. Its well name was SJOSTROM 33-17. Fred Sjostrom was my grandfather by the way. It was a dry well.

Currently I am watching the Conaway 1-19H well located at 25n-57e on sections 18 and 19. It has had some production numbers posted. You can search http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov/WebApps/DataMiner/ for some of that history. I am also watching Norby 21-16-1H located on sections 16 and 21. This well was spudded first part of August. So it will be awhile before any production is reported.

Dan, if you go to the link I posted - in the drop down menu -just put in the township and range info and all sorts of wells will come up. Any well listed with an H at the end is a horizontal well that you can look at the info on it. I hope this helps.

I've been anxious for a permit to drill for section 17 as well......I keep telling myself patience is a virtue!

Nice to hear from you Joanne. My wife Lynlee inherited part of the N 1/2 17 from her father William Davies. The Davies' owned that farm once upon a time. Also nearby State 21-28H at sec 28/33 completed on 4/17 with IP 578.

Joanne G said:

Dan- Its a small world we live in. I also have a small portion of that section you reference. There was a vertical well drilled in the 80's. Its well name was SJOSTROM 33-17. Fred Sjostrom was my grandfather by the way. It was a dry well.

Currently I am watching the Conaway 1-19H well located at 25n-57e on sections 18 and 19. It has had some production numbers posted. You can search http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov/WebApps/DataMiner/ for some of that history. I am also watching Norby 21-16-1H located on sections 16 and 21. This well was spudded first part of August. So it will be awhile before any production is reported.

Dan, if you go to the link I posted - in the drop down menu -just put in the township and range info and all sorts of wells will come up. Any well listed with an H at the end is a horizontal well that you can look at the info on it. I hope this helps.

I've been anxious for a permit to drill for section 17 as well......I keep telling myself patience is a virtue!

Joanne, Vitt 31-17-1H was approved 10/1/12.

DAN RITCHIE said:

Nice to hear from you Joanne. My wife Lynlee inherited part of the N 1/2 17 from her father William Davies. The Davies' owned that farm once upon a time. Also nearby State 21-28H at sec 28/33 completed on 4/17 with IP 578.

Joanne G said:

Dan, thanks for sharing! Good news

Dan- I just sent you a friend request. Please accept it. :-)

Yipee skipee That was quicker than I thought.

Thanks