How do you print large portions in GIS Viewers?

(Specifically, the Texas Railroad Commission Public GIS Viewer; but this might apply to any)

The Texas Railroad Commission Public GIS Viewer lets you print either a PDF or PNG of whatever you are viewing in the window. That means you don’t see items such as survey names, abstracts, or well locations until you are zoomed in to a small portion of a county. I want to print an entire county as a PDF, but with those details. I know the file will be huge in that I would have to zoom in to see the details. Also, I know that if I want to print that file to one sheet of paper, I would have to go to a print shop with a large format printer in order for words and marks to be large enough to see.

Is this possible?

@nielloeb, it is possible if you have the GIS data and a GIS program. I don’t see a way to do this directly from the RRC Public Viewer. Which county were you interested in? Attached a sample of a larger region of Reagan County that is sized for 36" x 24", but the data is available for the other Texas Counties.

Preston Page of Dakota Energy LLC has done some beautiful large printouts for regions of North Dakota… perhaps he could do some for Texas too.

Thanks. Your example shows my problem. If this were the area I wanted to see on one page/image by zooming out to show all the surveys I want to see, the survey borders and numbers would no longer show up.

@nielloeb, right, so larger paper would be needed to print entire county legibly. Maybe a different way to get the information you want, since huge paper size is somewhat impractical?

I print what I can & tape them together getting the “big” picture I want. If needed, I take that to a print shop to get a one page, large map.

1 Like

I’m sure this works using other GIS programs. Texas allows only their online one, which has only options to print what you see on the screen as a PDF or PNG. And their county view shows no details.

@nielloeb, as you note, the public GIS viewer doesn’t appear to allow this, but you can download shapefiles by county at https://rrc.texas.gov/resource-center/research/data-sets-available-for-download/. The shapefiles are useful in a GIS program like QGIS (which is free).

@Todd_M_Baker, that is a good idea, at least for a few sections. Not sure I’d want to do a whole county that way, but it is good to keep in mind.

Thanks! I see that might work. At the very least, I can print a county with all survey boundaries and fill-in details myself.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.