How do you locate a section number on the ground?

Can anyone tell me how I can take a section number where I’ve got mineral rights and figure out where its exact location is. I would like to see the 1 square mile in person but I don’t know how to figure that out. I’ve got 5 different section numbers, some in blaine county and kingfisher county. Thanks.

http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/forum/topics/software-or-website-that-has-lat-lon-overlays?commentId=4401368%3AComment%3A760241

Hi Alan -

You'd have to get a Surveyor to explain this better, but I have found that using a hand held GPS to locate a Lat-Long can be accurate, but only if your GPS Unit uses the same Mean Datum as your source for information on Lat-Longs. If they use different ones, you can end up as far as like half a mile off.

The most accurate solution I have run across for locating a Section on the ground is Google Earth with the free Earth Point Township and Texas Surveys overlays downloaded and installed:

http://www.earthpoint.us/

[WARNING: Stay away from earthpoint.com - it is not associated with earthpoint.us and is apparently infected]

With Google's Aerials Photos and the STR overlay(s), you can very accurately locate your Sections. Then, with the aid of street maps or mapping programs, locate the highways, roads, intersections, etc. to get you there.

If it gets down to it, you can even locate the metal medallions used by Surveyors to locate corners of Sections and parcels of land. They nail them to trees or mount them in concrete markers.

I already have the Earth Point downloads on Google Earch. If you would like me to send you pdfs of your Sections, post your legal descriptions and I'll see what I can come up with.

Also, the Counties may have maps with STRs, roads, railroads, and possibly also pipelines they can provide you copies of. All of those could help you locate your lands.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Look at Google Earth and find the road numbers to get you by your places. Almost all county roads are marked at each intersection as to the road numbers. You could also buy an Oklahoma Atlas. It also shows road numbers.