How do you find if land has been leased? Mineral owner/not land owner

My dad has 1/4 mineral rights in Tom Green County. Only the owner of the mineral rights and not the land. Back in the 90s there were two wells that were producing but have long been plugged. How do you go about and find if the land has been re leased for future drilling? Will the Tom Green County courthouse have a record of a possible lease if there has been one? Or do I need to find out from the land owner? Don’t have a address to land owner.

Jason

1 Like

If your Dad has the minerals then he would be the one leasing them out. If he hasn’t signed another lease then he isn’t under lease. The surface owner has nothing to do with it

My dad has 1/4. Land owner has 1/2. And another person not the owner has a 1/4. Was wondering in such a popular area why/if this property has been leased. Just wondering if maybe we got missed some how. And does the court have filed copies of leases?

Leases would be on file at the courthouse. It is possible that some company might have proceeded with only 3/4 of the minerals leased, but only if they couldn’t locate your Dad. You can always check with the Texas RRC to see if there has been any recent drilling in your area.