How do I transfer mineral rights?

Hi I’m trying to figure out how to transfer mineral rights from an individual to an LLC. I surely don’t want to do a quit claim claim deed. Would a warranty deed suffice or is there a particular document for this transfer in NM?

Any deed (warranty, special warranty, or quitclaim) will convey the minerals - it just depends on what type of warranty you want to use. If you don’t know, you should ask an attorney. If I were simply transferring minerals I own in my own name to an LLC that I own, I would just use a warranty deed. If I were selling to a third party, I would use a special warranty deed.

1 Like

I am not sure that you would automatically give a warranty deed and especially not if your deed was a quit claim deed.

Most comprehensive is a General Warranty Deed, followed by a Special Warranty Deed followed then by a Quit Claim Deed.

If your conveyance was via a Special Warranty Deed, I dont think it would be in your best interest to convey that right via a General Warranty Deed. Likewise if your conveyance in had been via a Quit Claim Deed, I dont think it would be in your best interest to convey that right via a General Warranty Deed or a Special Warranty Deed.

Might want to ask one of those Doctors of Juris Prudence (however you spell it)

1 Like

Thank you Max and William. I appreciate the feedback.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.