How do I find ownership of mineral rights in this county?

My mother passed away several years ago and while we knew her family had owned some type of mineral rights to some land we never knew much about it. In finally cleaning out some paperwork, I found the file with information, old leases, wills from her parents, etc. about the land. I need to do something about it or even find out if it is still in the possession of our family. The mineral rights are located in Pittsburg County, OK. I have the section number of the mineral rights and some correspondence from some companies who had previously leased the rights. Who do I contact to find out if we still own the mineral rights? Thank you.

1 Like

If you post the section, township and ranges, we can give you the current operators and tell you where to search online for some info on sales, etc.

It is Section 33, Township 02 North, Range 14 East.

Thank you for your assistance!

Dear Jatkins3,

Condolences on the loss of your mother. There is no substitute for a trip to the courthouse, if that is feasible. If the oil and gas leases have a deed reference for a description, then that may be a reasonable jumping off point for checking to see what happened to their lands.

If you are not familiar with how to run title (and most are not), then a suggestion would be to hire a landman to help you out. I would call the Clerk’s office and ask if they had a landman or abstractor there who might be able to help you out. Maybe even a clerk if they had time. I have done that many times.

Buddy Cotten

Sorry for your loss.

You may be able to discover much through online resources. Start here: Search Pittsburg County (back to 1991) Fill in an ancestor’s last name. Then enter the property description as follows:

You can should also search ancestors at these sites:

Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Search

Mineral Interest Escrow Account Search

If owners didn’t live in Oklahoma tryMulti-State Unclaimed Search

You can also search for probate records here: OSCN Docket Search

Thank you. We live in Florida so online searches is going to be our only option. I will try this and see what we find. Thank you for your help and I will let you know if I track it down.