How do I find out street address?

I acquired the mineral rights to a few acres from my grandparents-the survey and legal description is very old (1937). It has latitude/longitude lines, etc. How do I find out the street address of my property? It is in Houston County; my guess, it is probably near the Hull Daisetta area. Thank you for any help to steer me in the right direction. R. Wallace

County Recorder

Hey R Wallace -

Larry, the County Recorder (in Texas known as the County Clerk) will not be able to provide addressing information - they just maintain Deed Records and that sort of thing.

Either the County Engineer's Office or the County Appraisal District, however, should be able to tell you the address, if there is one. Someone in one of their offices actually assigns addresses as they become necessary (addresses are only given to structures, such as houses and office buildings - open land will not have an address).

Tell you what: If you will provide me with your legal description, I'll see what I can find out for you. Just take a few minutes.

Even send you a nice aerial photograph of your land.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Do you want all the latitude and longitude lines? There are a lot! I’ll send you the description tomorrow. Thank you very much.

R Wallace -

What you are thinking of as "latitude and longitude lines" are more than likely what are known as "metes and bounds" description lines, used to describe and define rural tracts of land.

Don't be intimidated by all that - they are merely descriptions of the boundary lines of rural tracts of land, as opposed to the modern day Lot and Block Numbers of residential or commercial properties you may be more familar with.

I'm sending you an invitation to become "A Friend" of mine on The Forum. Under that, The Forum will allow us to exchange personal contact information - email addresses and such - so you can send me your scanned in documents or data.

Pleasure to help -

Charles

Charles is right, the County Clerk won't have that information. If your County's Central Appraisal District (CAD) does not have it, try calling the Area 9-1-1 District for your County, I believe that they are the ones who actually come up with the addresses, especially in the unincorporated areas of the County.

The 911 / Rural Addressing project started about 45 years ago. It is / was a Federally mandated change over from RR Box numbers to city style street addresses so Law Enforcement and Emergency Services people can find your house more easily.

It is / was quite a project, requiring the renaming of about 99 percent of all rural roads across the nation and the assigning of addresses to each addressable structure. When you drive down highways and county roads, you will see reflective strips of the new addresses nailed to fence posts and gates. Using RR Box numbers for mailing something was supposed to have been discontinued about 15 years ago.

They may have the responsibility of assigning rural addresses, but they may not have the ability to use a legal description to determine an address. County Engineers or Appraisal District Map Guys always will.

Always use their "Non-Emergency" number when you contact a 911 / Rural Addressing Office for this type of information or you may interfere with their real work. The County Clerk should be able to tell you how to get in touch with them if 411 / Information doesn't have a listing for them.

Charles

Thank you Charles. I am looking forward to your help. Rita

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

R Wallace -

What you are thinking of as “latitude and longitude lines” are more than likely what are known as “metes and bounds” description lines, used to describe and define rural tracts of land.

Don’t be intimidated by all that - they are merely descriptions of the boundary lines of rural tracts of land, as opposed to the modern day Lot and Block Numbers of residential or commercial properties you may be more familar with.

I’m sending you an invitation to become “A Friend” of mine on The Forum. Under that, The Forum will allow us to exchange personal contact information - email addresses and such - so you can send me your scanned in documents or data.

Pleasure to help -

Charles

Hi Charles. I sent you the information about my property earlier this week via scan to your email. I hope you received it. Please let me know if you need any more information. Thank you for your help. Rita Wallace

What you are thinking of as "latitude and longitude lines" are more than likely what are known as "metes and bounds" description lines, used to describe and define rural tracts of land.

Don't be intimidated by all that - they are merely descriptions of the boundary lines of rural tracts of land, as opposed to the modern day Lot and Block Numbers of residential or commercial properties you may be more familar with.

I'm sending you an invitation to become "A Friend" of mine on The Forum. Under that, The Forum will allow us to exchange personal contact information - email addresses and such - so you can send me your scanned in documents or data.

Pleasure to help -

Charles

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I received your information and downloaded it. Just been busy with the Day Job and helping other Forumers. I'll try and get back to you later today. It won't take long, it's just finding the time. Appreciate your patience.