How do I find out how many acres of mineral rights I own?

Hi, just recently inherited mineral rights and need to find out how to go about finding out how many acres I have. Any advice would be helpful

S31 T4N R3W N2 S33 T4N R3W NW S31 T4N R3W N2

Hi Michael, you can get a quick estimate knowing that a standard public land survey section is 640 acres. You have the north half of section 31, Township 4 North, Range 3 West which would be about 320 acres. You also have the Northwest quarter of Section 33 in 4N 3W, which would be about 160 acres. So, this would be a total of 480 gross acres. You can get a more precise estimate if you check the BLM/GLO website https://glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx?searchTabIndex=0&searchByTypeIndex=2#searchTabIndex=0&searchByTypeIndex=1 If you check here you see that Section 31 is slightly smaller than standard and that the North Half of Section 31 would be reduced by 2.39 acres. Section 33 appears to be a standard section. Note that this is “gross acres”. Mineral acres would include the factor of your percent ownership or interest. If you own 100% of the mineral rights, you would have 477.61 mineral acres. 50% or 1/2 interest would reduce this number to 238.8 and so on. Hope this helps!

1 Like

To know more precisely you would need a mineral title opinion. A landman may be able to assist you with that.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.