How do I determine how many mineral acres I own in Garvin County

Can someone tell me or point me to documentation that tells how to figure out how many mineral acres one owns in an OK county, Garvin in my case. I didn’t see anything in a search that answered my question but if it’s there and I missed it please direct me and I will apologize for asking a question already answered.

Last year I had 3 different offers for an adjoining county and all 3 landmen figured different acreages. 2 were similar, maybe 1 acre difference and the 3rd was almost twice the other 2?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, you need the description from whatever documentation you have that states the section, township and range and hopefully, your interest portion of it. If you have separate tracts, you will need to calculate them one at a time.

Do you have probate documents, a deed, a lease, etc. A lease will usually have the gross acres. From there, various options are available to track down what you have. Section, township and range are the starting point.

The issue may be a clouded title, sloppy land work, a moving river, etc. so it can get complicated.

1 Like

My dad transferred mineral rights to me back around 2002 in Garvin County. He had a life clause where he received the royalty payments until death which was in 2013. I have the mineral deed from 2002 with all the section, townships, ranges, etc. but I don’t see a reference to any gross acreage. Seems the other mineral deeds I have mention gross acres, i.e. 90 acres. You can probably tell by my questions I’m just starting to pay attention. I always just received the royalty checks and occasionally someone would lease from me and I always agreed to the 3/16 option but over the last several months I’ve had some pretty nice offers for my minerals in Stephens, Carter and Garvin counties. I have a close approximation of what acreage I have in Stephens and Carter as people have figured it up so they could make me an offer. It’s probably a small amount in Garvin but would like to find out.

I just don’t understand “the east half of the NW quarter of the SW quarter…” blah blah blah and having no gross acreage listed leave me completely at a loss.

The “blah blah blah” is telling you exactly what you have. It can be confusing at first. You actually read it from right to left. For example, the S2 NW4 NE4 is (160 acres in the NE4 and then divide by 4 NW4 which is 40 acres and then divide by S2 which is 20 acres, so 20 acres net.

Here is a good article which explains it. S-T-R Legal Land Descriptions in OK_Kletke-1.pdf (59.7 KB)

The caveats are that the top tier (sec 1-6) and west tier (6,7,18,19,30,31) may not be quite 640 due to the curvature of the earth. They can be figured out using the General Land Office Maps.

If you have some of those, I can give you the link.

1 Like

I’ve been thru all that, too. I finally decided it was best to hire a land-person to check it all out, and give me a report. I am so happy I did, it gives me an understanding and description in black and white. I’ve used that info so much lately while dealing with offers from mineral buyers.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll read that article and see if it helps! Appreciate the information.

Chris_S1, was it costly to get a land-person to get that information for you?

one way you can determine the amount of acres is by reverse engineering the net revenue interest you are paid on your check. You take the net revenue interest and if you have a 3/16 lease, you multiply that net revenue interest by 16/3 and then if it is a section well, i.e, 640 acres, you multiply it by 640.

NRI x lease royalty (e.g. 16/3) x 640 = net acres in section.

2 Likes

I do have some in 30 and 31. Thanks!

I’m having the same problem! Mineral acres! Why is it so difficult to get answers? And why is every answer different? I’m considering selling some of my mineral rights, but I’m not sure what the value is. It’s crazy.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I’d have sent you a private message, but don’t think that works anymore. For me, it was well worth it. I’m for some reason hesitant to post what the fees were, not sure why. Don’t want to upset the decorum. It is for time at the courthouse running down the paperwork, and paid many dividends for me. Are we allowed to post our emails? (Anyone?)

@Chris_S1 thanks for asking that question. The short answer is no. I’m afraid there are far too many downside results to posting email addresses and phone numbers on publicly available websites. Certainly it would be nice in some instances, but there’s simply too much downside exposure.

More over, we once allowed personal messaging, but that was abused badly, so that had to end for most parties. Our goal is to provide a clean safe place for conversation. By definition, that brings a few guard rails that must be put in place.