How accurate is ESER.org?

Our landman told us that his client drilled a "big hole" that was dry and cancelled their project. So now I guess they're just going to sit on our leases until they expire, but I honestly can't get a clear answer (we just signed them a couple months ago.)

I check ESER regularly and there are no new holes anywhere NEAR our property, proposed or otherwise. I'm frustrated because everything he tells us seems to be couched in vague language and I don't even know who his client is or where this hole was drilled.

I asked ESER how often their site is updated, but they never responded.

I have tried Wyoming's oil site but it is honestly a mess. I get many connection errors and you can't even look around without knowing the well number of what you're looking for.

Eser is frequently out of date, but they probably get their information the same place I do, just almost a year behind before they post it.

A year?! Okay, that's probably why I haven't found any drilling in our area. Ha ha!

Juliet:

Eser tends to be way behind on their information so don't base your conclusion on what you see at this site. If you just signed the lease a couple of months ago and they have already drilled, then they must have had the rig scheduled for your area whether or not you signed a lease. I take it from what you have said that the well was drilled in Wyoming. I would contact the Wyoming Oil and Gas (State Agency governing Oil and Gas in Wyoming) and give them the location (Township/Range/Section) where this well was supposedly drilled and they should be able to give you the information as it should be public information. If I negotiate with a landman and he or she refuses to tell me whom they are working for, I immediately decline the offer as I feel that they are my minerals and I want to know what company will possibly drill them.

I will have to call them, good idea. I have entered our locations into the Wyoming site but it says "no record found." Maybe the drilling was done on someone else's property nearby.

A few places to look for info . The BLM Wyoming web-site, under what we do, then planning, you will find a NEPA Log . look for your area and open the PDF.

A well is first staked for a six month period before the permit can be approved .

The county assessor office your property is located in should have a gis map with a oil and gas ?. Link to click on... Hope this helps :)

Not very in my case lol. The two wells that I'm interested in are on the same well pad but are backwards . I just thought about that and went to ESER and checked it out again and they are still that way .

I just learned that I can edit ESER map at google map maker . I left it alone though.

William:

I've found that the best and possibly the most accurate way to view the current wells is to go to the GIS Map of the State Agency that regulates oil and gas in a State. I'm not sure all have this map but Montana and Norh Dakota has them and they are updated on a weekly basis.

william tompkins said:

I just learned that I can edit ESER map at google map maker . I left it alone though.

thanks Charles

I have been using Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission GIS map. Its really cool because once you find your well theirs links to all the info like production and the document file's etc.

The state of New Mexico does not have a GIS yet so for that state I use the gotech site, its not a GIS map but it works for well status and production .