Houston Leon County Coal Company

On top of the mineral rights I found out I’m inheriting, I found out that I apparently am also going to be getting a percentage of something called the Houston Leon County Coal Company. A bit of googling makes it seem like this is quite an old entity.

Has anyone else belonged to a company or partnership like this before?

The King Coal Company was pretty big many year’s ago. The King family has or had a huge mineral right interest in several counties! HUGE!

Good Luck

I’m not sure if I’m related to those kings or not but I think my dad’s mom married into the Kings that were related to GQ King aka Gail King. I think they may have had some type of dealership for cars at one point too maybe. Slowly learning my family history

Gail SR. had the Chevrolet dealship for year’s and was passed down to his two son’s.

I see you’re from the Crockett area. If you know any of the Kings then you might have known my dad depending on how old you are

Johnson King was one of the brothers.

Is this the King of the Goree King that lived close to the Navasota?

Here some history of the coal company.

1 Like

You might check with the Jewett Historical Museum in Jewett (Leon County). There are some photographs of the mine and a littke information about the mining community of Evansville. 903-626-5353 or 903-626-5872 (adjoining library, which has a book called A HISTORY OF LEON COUNTY). Both open 12-4 M-F.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.