Horizontal Drilling

Horizontal Drilling is a new technology that's revolutionizing the way we extract oil and gas from these shales plays across our great country. However as a mineral owner, I'm concerned about the possibility that my mineral estate may be drained of it's oil and gas from a Horizontal well three or four miles away? Does anyone know the range and depth of these Horizontal drills and casing? And does anyone share my concern?

Amite County Mississippi.

Greg Taft said:

Depending on the state that you are in they have different ways of addressing this. Some states are law of capture if you will in that there is nothing you can do except compete with another wellbore on your minerals. In general horizontal wells are drilled into very tight rock and drainage doesn't go much past say 1000-2000'. That is a generalization for sure and depends on where you are at, but 3 or 4 miles you are probably fine. What area are you in? I can give you a range of depths for your area.

Thanks, that was a wealth of info: Also California, Oklahoma and Louisiana are "Law of Capture" States. Mississippi, Ohio, Texas and West Virginia, are "Ownership States".

Greg Taft said:

Ah yes, the tuscaloosa marine shale play is likely what they are chasing. I would say the risk for drainage in this play from 3-4 miles away is pretty low. Well depths are 6000'-14000' depending on where you are at. This is a very young play still. As a petroleum engineer I wouldn't worry too much about 3-4 miles away in this play, I would be more concerned if it was say 1/2 mile to 1 mile away, but even then the risk is fairly low. The other factor that comes into play is if there are natural fractures present then you could see drainage a long distance away, but 3-4 miles in a naturally fractured system is still difficult to drain much that far away. Not sure if that helps or not?

Mr. Taft,

I have been trying to get some info on the shale deposits and their thickness in the North Eastern portion of Madison County, Texas. Would you happen to have any or be able to suggest where I might go to find that information? Thanks for your time and any info.

As a mineal owner only in Texas what did you mean by Texas is an "Ownership" State. I am thinking of puting a depth clause in a lease when we get one to protect what is above and below where "they" might drill but not sure how to do it. I have heard its a good idea along with the pugh clause, no warranty clause.

"Law of Ownership" means "minerals in place" are owned by you prior to severance, or extraction from the subsurface.

Texas54 said:

As a mineal owner only in Texas what did you mean by Texas is an "Ownership" State. I am thinking of puting a depth clause in a lease when we get one to protect what is above and below where "they" might drill but not sure how to do it. I have heard its a good idea along with the pugh clause, no warranty clause.