High water mark on Lake Sakakawea as "sovereign" state mineral rights

We keep getting registered letters with requirements from different landsmen all about the same requirements. We are along the river where the state has claimed some of our acres. Statoil tells us to contact ND State Land and Trust Dept. to find out how many acres we now have and when I do, they tell me that the oil company should be able to find that info. for us. Is there a site online that I can find out how many acres I now have? Thanks for any help.

Bonnie,

My family is in the same boat losing mineral rights that have been in the family since the 1940's, stolen by the State of North Dakota. Some of the family members joined the class action suit against the state but lost in District Court and this last January, the ND Supreme Court backed the state (go figure) so the state has taken ALL mineral rights below the high water mark on Lake Sakakawea as "sovereign" state mineral rights.

http://bakken.com/news/id/62269/landowners-lose-nd-mineral-rights-case-environment-energy-publishing/

I have done a lot of research as we still have mineral rights left in Mountrail County that are above the high water mark. I have found (so far) that any mineral rights that connect to above the water mark minerals have not been leased by the State out from under us. Those minerals totally underwater can be found on the ND State Land and Trust web site. All you need is the legal description and you can find out if they are leasing any of your minerals.
http://www.land.nd.gov/minerals/mineralapps/lease/leasesearch.aspx

enter the Township and Range to start the search and then scan down to the section and legal description to find out if the State is currently leasing your minerals. You can find the bonus amount as well as the royalty info.

If you want to keep a pulse of what is going on and you have sleuth skills, use the ND Oil and Gas site:

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/

There is some info available "out of the box" but the most information can be gleaned by paying for a basic subscription. I find I get a great return on my subscription as I can research well permits and status as well as production numbers to compare to statements from operators paying royalties.

Hope this answers your questions and I can fully sympathize with your mineral rights dilemma. Our family has lost just over 600+ mineral right acres to the State of North Dakota. I still don't understand how a Federal Dam project backing up the Missouri River make these mineral rights State property when my family has held title to the mineral rights for over 70+ years. Most of those acres were leased by our family up until a few years ago. Oil has created a greedy Monster!

Steve, Thanks so much for the information... very interesting. A couple of months ago, 2 of our cousins were paid for 2 wells along the river area in dispute. Why the rest of us haven't seen anything on those wells is very confusing. And now this last revenue check we received, they didn't receive anything on the new wells either. I have emailed the company, but sometimes they answer and sometimes they don't.... so far, nothing. Thanks again for your input.

Your welcome Bonnie! If you need help finding data about the wells in question you can private message me and I will be more than glad to help. I have found dealing with the oil companies requires a diligent amount of phone calls to get anything accomplished. I sent an email asking for some information in June and I'm still waiting for an answer so I gave up and called and had an answer in 20 minutes. So far our family hasn't run into no royalty payment checks but we have had a couple of problems with landmen and getting a different story than other family members i.e. one member getting a Pugh clause and all the other members not..... If there is anything I can help with give a shout!

Steve

Hi Steve or whoever might know.... I noticed on my last production statement that my owner's decimal figure fluctuated monthly on one of the wells. I thought it would always be the figure that was on the division order papers.

Never have seen it in the 3+ years we have been receiving royalties, Bonnie. So far we get royalties from Hess and Whiting and soon to be getting some royalties from Continental. I'm under the same impression that once a division order is drawn up that is the percentage you use to calculate with. Hmmmm... one more thing to keep an eye on.

This oil company is Statoil. I have written them an email, but they aren't too good about responding. I didn't noticed it, but one of my cousins caught it. Hopefully it is a simple answer. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for answering.

Steve Gunderson said:

Never have seen it in the 3+ years we have been receiving royalties, Bonnie. So far we get royalties from Hess and Whiting and soon to be getting some royalties from Continental. I'm under the same impression that once a division order is drawn up that is the percentage you use to calculate with. Hmmmm... one more thing to keep an eye on.

No problem Bonnie! You just happened to catch me at one of those rare moments taking a break in the middle of the day! Definitely keep me posted. This will be interesting. I might suggest a phone call though. I too have tried to communicate via email and glaciers move faster than you will get a reply.