Hess well?

Hello,

When I called the Marathon agent to inquire about my mineral lease due to expire August 2014 he told me there was a well operating on my rights.

The well name is EN-Jeffrey A-155-94-2734 H-1, spud date 8/28/12, operated by Hess-Bakken.

So far I have been unable to find this well listed on the various State ND oil/gas sites. Can anyone provide information about production, or if royalties are due? I have called Hess in Houston and have been assigned a case number.

Thanks much.

Check out https://www.dmr.nd.gov/OaGIMS/viewer.htm , select “find section” and plug in your location information. It does not work in Safari, so I use Chrome. There appear to be 5 wells drilled on section 22 down to sections 27 & 34.

I have some interests nearby, also Hess.

Thanks! These mineral rights were inherited and we have not probated the estate in ND, although we did have to prove ownership prior to the first lease quite some years ago. One would hope that initial documentation would have sufficed for Hess to at least contact us. It will be interesting to see if royalties are due. I suspect we may be in for protracted and of course expensive legal proceedings.

Hess insisted on a probate for our interest, but not for a relative’s interest, so you never know.

As oil companies go, Hess is not too bad - still, these companies tend to be based in Texas or Oklahoma where 99% percent of the population can’t walk and chew gum at the same time; that presents challenges.

5 producing wells from 1-29 2013. They look like good producers. Their good production is probably the reason that there are 4 more wells spud for your spacing in addition to the 5. Your 5 wells have the same name excepting the substitution of the last numeral 1-2-3-4-5. The newly spud wells carry this on with 6-7-8-9. I think you will have to probate because Hess has been holding your money and using it interest free for more than a year and will likely get to use it for yet another year before a probate is final. If you have more than 1-2 acres your first check should be a doozy though. As the years roll by, probates in ND have taken longer and gotten more expensive. Of course if your title were good, Hess would owe you interest, so I think they are going to have to demand the probate.

Mr. Murray, you are correct! I live in Texas and I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. The gum would pull my fillings.

John Murray said:

Hess insisted on a probate for our interest, but not for a relative's interest, so you never know.

As oil companies go, Hess is not too bad - still, these companies tend to be based in Texas or Oklahoma where 99% percent of the population can't walk and chew gum at the same time; that presents challenges.