Help with the correct way to address a plot of land

Hello,

My mom -Joyce and I (jackie) are new to this forum. My mom owns two mineral right lots and we are not clear on how to find them.

Does this description mean enough to someone for you to decipher to the correct language?

Section 19 Township 5 No of range (6) West of the Meridian

Thankyou very much for any help!

Jackie

Would it be 19-5N-6W?

Not sure what you mean by lots. Section 19 does have 4 lots in it.

If you are needing a map of the area someone else will have to upload one. I don't have one on the computer.

If it is written on a deed or in correspondence I would write it like this:

Section 19, Township 5 North, Range 6 West of the I.B.M., Grady County, Oklahoma.

Thank you Darla!

Ok she is supposed to own both one and two. A map would be very helpful I have tried to find one online.

Her other mineral rights lot is

Section 24 Township 5n Range 7 West of I.b.m. Grady county, ok

Look at your legal description. It might include something like "the southeast quarter of the north half of the west quarter of Section 19 of Township 5 north 6 west Indian meridian". It might also include a statement of x acres more or less.

Ah yes Sylvester!

Thankyou it didn’t make sense to me. I will need to go visit my mom again.

But on the section 24 it did have something like that E1/2, NE1/4, NE 1/4 Township 5N Range 7W

I will bring home her paperwork So I can talk more intelligently I know the section 19 was 76 acres or so and the section 24 was around 20

I agree with Sylvester. You do not have the complete legal description. I do not believe you are talking about lots. I believe you are just talking about ownership in two different sections.

I haven't found any ownerships in Grady County where a mineral owner owns under the whole section. You are missing the specifics of the legal description.

Even though your legal descriptions are in different townships and ranges the sections do sit next to each other with possibly a road between them.

I understand Darla and Thankyou very much for the information. I’m new to this and there is a new “lingo” to learn. When I pick up the paperwork from my mom I will post better information … Again I didn’t understand the importance of all the description and Thankyou for helping us newbies along!!!

No problem. We enjoy teaching and often learn in so doing.

Maybe we can get you a map after you have the whole legal

That would be really awesome!

This is as it is written on the deed

The East half of NE Quarter of NE quarter (E1/2, NE1/4, NE1/4) of section twenty four (24)in township five (5) north, Of range seven(7) west of the meridian, Grady County, Oklahoma AND

Lots (1) and (2) in section nineteen (19) in township five (5) north, of the range six (6) west of the meridian, Grady county, Oklahoma

If you have google earth, please see the attached files to view your sections mapped out.

If you do not have google earth, it is a free program offered by google. You can map out your tracts and save them for future viewing.

143-1905N06W.kml (50.1 KB) 144-2405N07W.kml (50.4 KB)

Just a suggestion. The reference to lots may be because the surface property has been developed and sub-divided. Kind of like metes and bounds for property on the surface.

Lots 1 and 2 is also known as the W/2 NW/4 as it pertains to Section 19.

When a legal description outside of a town or city includes a Lot in the description it is due to the curvature of the earth. Lots can run across the top of a section, or the west side of the section, or both. They may have more than 40 acres in them or less. Most of the time you have to go back to the original patton to determine the exact amount of acreage in them, but oil companies often just declare them to have 40 acres to illuminate the hastle.

Hello Darla and thankyou for the information. Do you know who I should contact for more information regarding the exact acreage? Would it be a title company?

Are you wanting to know the exact mineral acreage you have or the exact acreage in the legal description?

They are usually very different amounts. You may have anywhere from a tiny 1/4 acre in an 80 acre legal description or up to all of it (which is rare). Most of the time it is somewhere in between.

A title company might look up the original patton and tell you how much acreage the lots have...if they are friendly. I haven't dealt with the title companies in Grady County.

Most title companies will not figure the amount of minerals you have. You will need to hire a land person to do that. They will go back to the original patton and pull all the deeds between the patton and you to verify what you have.

Now that is really cool! I have Google Earth, but didn't know you could get it to do this. I tried the help, but don't quite see how to accomplish this. Can you point me to instructions for doing this section-township-range trick?

Generally, the original Patent will denote the acreage originally conveyed. As you noted, every conveyancing instrument put of record for the subject lands will need to be examined to determine both the surface estate conveyed and the mineral estate conveyed as the ownership evolved over time.

Mineral acreage conveys with the surface unless a) it has been previously, or is currently being, reserved, or b) a mineral deed has been executed which severs a portion of, or the entirety of, the mineral estate from the surface estate. Mineral reservations can be 'in perpetuity', for a specified period, or for other reasons, and royalty interests can also enter into the equation. Those all being reasons that the entire chain of title needs to be examined to determine ownership.

To Jackie and Joyce, accurate determination of the size of a mineral estate requires a lot of investigation. The nuances can put this accurate determination into the realm of retaining a professional who has the experience to accurately interpret the chain of title and arrive at an accurate assessment of who owns what, how much they own, and any clouds that may be found on said title. I'm not saying that it's impossible for a layperson, just more complex than most people want to undertake.

Even Landmen assigned to perform a title package have their assessment reviewed by a title attorney to identify 'curative issues' in that chain of title which require affidavits, probates, etc. before they issue a 'title opinion' the drilling company relies upon to insure they have all relevant interests leased before drilling operations are commenced.

As Darla mentioned, Title Plants generally only tabulate the surface estate. They do have a list of all (most) instruments that have been filed. Some will let you see that list, some won't. If you can acquire or make a copy of that list you can start at the beginning and run the title to current day. Or, if you can locate an oil & gas lease that was put of record at the courthouse, that will give you an acreage for what was leased...usually everything one owns in a section.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Rudy, I downloaded a Public Land Survey add-on to my google earth to allow me to do this. Here is a link to the add-on I used: http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx