Help transfering mineral interest

Greetings friends!

I am a novice … to say the least … and would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide. (As a newbie to the forum, I have recently gone thru several threads hoping to gather the answers to all my questions. Unfortunately, I feel I still do not know exactly how to proceed, since it seems there are different laws for different states. So I apologize if this is something that has already been addressed …)

I live in Los Angeles, California. I owned undivided interest in a Warranty Deed/Mineral Deed my mother left me years ago. I sold my share of the land, and retained the oil, gas, mineral rights in 2009. (It is 100 acres located in Shelby County, Texas – Squire Humphries Survey A-280) I would like to transfer my mineral rights to my daughter before I die. I have a copy of a Mineral Deed my mother used when her mother transferred rights to her name. I typed an identical copy using my name and my daughter’s. Am I correct in understanding that all I need to do now is take it to get notarized then have it filed with the Shelby County Clerk? Is there any other legal action that needs to take place? My daughter will then legally own my shares? (The property is not producing and the last lease was many years ago, so I’ve gathered that no one else would need to be advised of the change. Is that correct?)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Have a will done

I have a will, however I want to give this to her before I die.

You should have deed reviewed by a Texas attorney to make sure that it accomplishes full transfer. In case there is any problem with the legal description(s), consider adding some words along the lines of ‘and including any other real proprty interests, including surface, minerals, nonparticipating royalty interests, that I own in the county’. Your signature must be notarized.

Robert -

I sent the example Mineral Deed attached to your previously posted question.

If you don't want to use it, there are Texas Attorneys we can all recommend to help you prepare the document. Wade Caldwell out of San Antonio, Texas, for example, is a frequent contributor to The Forum and recommended by many people.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

518-SAMPLEMINERALDEED2017.docx (22.3 KB)