Help please. Need to claim my monies from Oil companies that are holding them in my deceased mother's name

When my mother passed, I inherited her mineral rights in OK. When I contact some of the oil companies to make sure my name is listed and/or I want to collect monies held in suspension, (Chesapeake is one of them) I'm told I need to send a will, probate documents and a death certificate. I can obtain a death certificate, but she had no will and such a small estate it didn't go to probate court. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can claim the monies and get these mineral interests in my name, without a will and probate documents?

What about the fact that I have sold some mineral rights already to one Oil company in OK and they did run the title, proof of heirship, etc.? Wouldn't that be proof?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.


If your mother did not have a will, her interest passes under the Oklahoma law of intestate succession, to her "heirs at law". Many companies will accept a document called an affidavit of death and heirship. Often the companies have a specific form they will accept. It can be filed with the deed records in the county where the minerals are located. Tell Chesapeake there was no will, that should get the process started. Feel free to contact me if that doesn't work.

Thank you for the information Bonnie. I have contacted them and they emailed me an Affidavit of Heirship to fill out, notarize and send back. Hopefully that will be all I need to do. I will contact you if it doesn't work.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Glad it is working out.

Obtain and file affidavits of heirship from persons that new your mother but are not involved in the estate. Than file them in the county you have interest.

My mother left me mineral rights also but, it was not a large estate but, I had to have a death certificate and probate papers and copy of the will for my problem. This is in Oklahoma.I know that is no help. If there is more land,it may be in your interest to probate the property.

Thank you for your info.

Thanks for your help.

Just because one oil company ran title on one tract and found that your mother owned the minerals for part or all of it does not mean that your mother automatically owned the minerals under any other tract. And oil companies are competitors, so they don't share information. In the absence of a Will and Probate, most oil companies will accept a certified copy of an Affidavit of Heirship filed in the County Clerk's Office, showing your mother's marital history and heirs-at-law. So if you can find an attorney or other qualified professional to help you craft the Affidavit of Heirship, or craft it yourself, have a disinterested third party who knew your mother sign it, file it at the County Clerk's Office in the county where the minerals are located, obtain a certified copy of the AOH, and send that certified copy to the oil company, that should work as far as getting them to put things in your name.

Thank you very much for this information Pete. I will do just that! Regards, Urrisa