Help needed

About a month ago, EQT Production Company contacted me with a lease agreement for land that was in my great uncle's name, in Springhill Township Green county Pennsylvania. 52.48 acres.

They have confused the family lines and have nieces and nephews listed on this lease agreeement as well as step children. But not my uncles daughter.

They are not listening to me about this people mix up. I have been doing the family genealogy for 20 years.

What do I do? They want to sign the lease with me.....and not the rightful heir?

Tell them you won't sign until their title search comes up with the rightful heirs. (They are thinking that you don't know what you're talking about.)

Don't waste your time if you're not a rightful heir. You can't "pound" sense into these people.

Good luck,

Pat

I agree. "Grab" it and go.

Don't forget to send us a postcard from Paris.

Good luck,

Pat

Thank you for the help!

This was their reply to my question about a title search: "We paid thousands of dollars for the title work, we’re not interested in just giving it away. "

Can they use the land without all the lease papers being signed? So it doesn’t matter what I do about the lease? Thank you so much.

You would have to ask a Pennsylvania O & G attorney about that. Sounds like they need to ask for their money back

It is my understanding that it would go by your great uncle’s will and flow down from there. If there wasn’t a will and his spouse and child(ren) survived then 50% would go to the spouse and 50% the child(ren) would split. If there wasn’t a will and no living spouse then the children would split. If no spouse or children then the siblings would split (I don’t know who it would go to if the parents were alive as well). If he had 6 siblings and 1 sibling had passed before him the spouse or children of the deceased sibling would split that person’s portion. If the deceased sibling had no spouse/children that portion would be split between the siblings equally. It can get very convoluted and depends on if there is a will or not.

sorry. replied to the wrong post :slight_smile:

Sam…I needed to read your reply. thanks

You have gotten less than good advice. In most jurisdictions, striking the warranty does little good in an oil lease.

See here for a blog post from years ago. This was written specifically for Texas, but it’s generally applicable in most Common Law states:

Best,

Buddy Cotten