Help finding probate believed to be filed in Harris County, Texas in 1984 or 1985

I am attempting to find a probate on a party who passed the end of 1984 as a resident of Harris County, Texas. I have contacted Harris County and advised that they had no probate for the decedent. A quit claim deed is recorded within the county with heirs to the decedent and purported administrator of estate into the buyer. Also decedent's divorce was filed within this county and is also found. Are there any special nuances that you can inform me on for probate searches within that county? Or is anyone local that would be willing to perform search if computer and phone personnel may not be considered adequate? I am one frustrated landman. Thank you, Stephanie Wilbanks 918-625-7355

Dear Ms. Wilbanks,

Residence of a county is not a requirement for probate. Some estates will move to less populated counties for ease of filing, speediness of court dates, etc.

Are you sure that it was filed in Harris County?

Harris County is a nightmare. There is one building that you go to the 3rd floor and get the case number, then to another floor and get on the microfilm. If you want copies, come back the next day. It is just that bad. At least that is the way it used to be.

Good luck on your search.

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Ms. Wilbanks,

Residence of a county is not a requirement for probate. Some estates will move to less populated counties for ease of filing, speediness of court dates, etc.

Are you sure that it was filed in Harris County?

Harris County is a nightmare. There is one building that you go to the 3rd floor and get the case number, then to another floor and get on the microfilm. If you want copies, come back the next day. It is just that bad. At least that is the way it used to be.

Good luck on your search.

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

Buddy, that is where he was living at the time. I do not believe there was much of an estate left. Business property was sold to pay off back taxes. I am not even certain there was a probate. I am working on this for an old hometown (Holdenville, OK) friend. She remembers her uncle acting as administrator of her father’s estate. Someone told her that Houston city encompasses 2 counties or in any event there were 2 offices to check for someone whose estate was probated in Houston. She and I have both contacted Harris County and were told there was nothing under that name. It is frustrating because she needs the revenue held in suspense by atleast one company under his name to pay for her mom’s increasing requirements for care. We may have to do an Affidavit of Heirship and move on. I just hate to until I am absolutely certain. Do you have any landman contacts local to the area or do you think are online and telephone searches are enough? I am just wondering if someone may have overlooked his name in the search process due to a cumbersome system. Especially, if 1984 and 1985 are not online. The producing properties are located in Oklahoma and I have exhausted all the county possibilities here. What is your opinion or can you hook me up with someone else? Thanks.

Then my probate is not there. Perhaps I should check surrounding counties. Does Houston not sit on 2 different counties?

Two?

Nope.

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Three.

Harris, Fort Bend and Montgomery, I believe.

Stephanie Wilbanks, CPL said:

Then my probate is not there. Perhaps I should check surrounding counties. Does Houston not sit on 2 different counties?

Buddy, you are so funny. I will check Fort Bend and Montgomery and then search will have been exhausted. Let me know if you ever need anything over this way. Steph