Heirs being contacted by landman

I’ve been contacted by a Landman in Texas where I inherited income from mineral rights and royalities through Sheridan. Now this landman says my great aunts name is on a another adjacent Warranty Deed that never got transferred to my mother and then to me. He wants info on the family to "perfect; the Deed since he’s been contracted by Rockcliff Oil who wants to develop. My sisters are telling me to not talk to him. However, I’ve verified he is a certified landman. i’m concerned that this property was not conveyed to my mother and want to know how to proceed. TY

Why would your sisters tell you not to talk to him? Are you in the process of selling him property? Or is he trying to buy another heirs property and simply trying to get the property to where it can be transferred?

If this person (landman) already had the INFO on the family why would he want it from you? Get him to give you copies of your family tree for you to verify. Usually when families, or supposed families, are trying to “hide” information they are trying to “beat each other” out of the property!

It sounds like he’s curing title for Rockcliff, an indicator that they are getting ready to drill on the property. My guess is if the title isn’t cured, then they’ll just place this interest in suspense until it is.

It doesn’t hurt to ask what Rockcliff is planning to do and what is needed, but to ask him to give you a family tree is dumb IMO.

Ask him to send a copy of the deed which is still in your great-aunt’s name which will have a legal description for your review. Also ask for a written explanation of the issue and who he is representing. A verbal explanation is too often misunderstood or is not accurate. Do not sign any agreements or make any promises to the landman. You can also do your own research in the online deed records for her name.

4 Likes

If these minerals are put into production, if you don’t know the family tree, title and your percent, then how do you expect to sign and approve a division order? Do you expect them to short change themselves?

Based on OP’s post, it seems like if anything, this landman is working to credit them with an additional interest from their great aunt. How is that short changing?

This landman is very likely looking to cure issues in the chain of title for Rockcliff and if they can’t, they will suspend the payment. Title defects lead to suspended royalties. It’s understandable that many mineral/royalty owners are suspicious of landmen due to the unscrupulous practices of others. If would benefit you not to ignore this request. If you need more help, contact an oil and gas attorney or at least a landman who could do the research for you. I would definitely ask them to provide you with the title documents they have already which you can then have someone look over.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.