Heir to non-executive mineral rights

I have just been notified that I am the heir to some mineral rights, along with other family members, located in Madison County, TX. I received a Ratification of Lease agreement to sign from a Landman. I am completely ignorant about what I need to do or what questions I should be asking. I contacted the Landman and he said that I should just sign the agreement and return it. I don't know where the land is or whether the company has actually done anything yet. I need some guidance concerning what my next step should be and what questions I should be asking.

Sincerely

Brad Whitlow

Brad:

First of all, do some research and find out exactly where these minerals are located, learn what production is in the immediate area along with production figures. Make sure the terms of this lease is the fair bonus, % royalty for this area. Mr. Buddy Cotten, another individual on this forum, most likely could assist you in this matter. His contact number is listed under his profile. For the time being, DON'T sign anything until you know and understand what you are signing. Also, you can click on Groups (top of page); click on County Groups; scroll to Texas and you will find Madison County. This site has over 30 members who have an interest in the Madison County area. You might read some of these posts and learn more about the leasing in that area.

Dear Mr. Whitlow,

Some research is in order. First, the reason that you are being asked to Ratify the lease is so that your lands may be pooled. Since, in Texas, the pooling transaction is a cross convenaynce of minerals, the executive owner may not convey your minerals.

Second, you have every right to inspect the lease that you are being asked to ratify. To do otherwise, would not be wise. Ensure that the landman furnishes the lease. That is step one.

Step two is to check for activity on or near your property. Also useful is to know the quantity of your non-executive mineral interest.

I personally do not ratify leases, but will ratify units as to the producing zones, if the well is either on me or off me. I know that sounds silly to some, but that is where my compass is on this matter. I keep my options open on future pooled units.

Dear Mr. Cotten,

Thank you for your response. We are in possession of the lease but the only change that was made is from 1/8 to 1/5 of royalties and I am not sure what that means. Also, I do not understand pooling, could you explain that to me? My Mother has already signed and returned her ratification.

I don't have any idea about how to check for activity on or near the property because I only know that it is in Madison County, TX and that the company has leased 244 acres of which approximately 150 apply to my family. Another family member has told me that the company has leased several 1000 acres in the area. The date on the lease is 08/2010 but the gentlemen that I spoke with implied that there was no activity as of yet.

This situation came out of nowhere and as I said I have no knowledge concerning this type of business or the language that is used. Some of the print on the lease is almost to small to read. What should I be looking for?

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Mr. Whitlow,

Some research is in order. First, the reason that you are being asked to Ratify the lease is so that your lands may be pooled. Since, in Texas, the pooling transaction is a cross convenaynce of minerals, the executive owner may not convey your minerals.

Second, you have every right to inspect the lease that you are being asked to ratify. To do otherwise, would not be wise. Ensure that the landman furnishes the lease. That is step one.

Step two is to check for activity on or near your property. Also useful is to know the quantity of your non-executive mineral interest.

I personally do not ratify leases, but will ratify units as to the producing zones, if the well is either on me or off me. I know that sounds silly to some, but that is where my compass is on this matter. I keep my options open on future pooled units.

Best,

Buddy Cotten

Mineral Manager

Mr. Whitlow,

I made an assumption based on the title to your post --- that you have a non-executive interest in the minerals. It could well be that you have a non-participating royalty interest.

Were you or your mother ever paid any bonus consideration? That is no longer the litmus test for a non executive. There is great fraud being perpetuated on non-executives and I have been hired as an expert witness for one such action.

What you really need to find out is what is the nature of your interest -- mineral or royalty.

Brad,

Buddy Cotton's advice is right on. Especially with non-executive fraud that I have witnessed first hand in another active Texas county. Have the landman show you the proof of your rights through recorded documents and send them to Buddy. In my case a leasing agent produced a very vague deed into my client with an internal interpretation of the non-exclusive rights. A letter to the retired grantor in the deed describing his potential liability in granting an unreasonable lease brought a quick clarification of the vague language in the lease. My client now can negotiate leases in his own right.

Brad -

You already have two of the finest minds on The Forum advising you, so I don't have much to add.

Two things I thought I might add for clarification are

(1) Royalty is the amount of the monies realized from production that is paid to the Mineral and Royalty Owners, in the proportion of their ownerships. The difference between a 1/8 royalty and a 1/5 royalty is that the Mineral Owner or the holder of the Executive Rights negotiated for a 20% royalty (1/5th) as opposed to a 12.5% royalty (1/8th). That's an increase of 7.5%, which is a good thing.

(2) I will leave it to Buddy to clarify his comment, but where he wrote that the holder of the Executive Rights did not have the right to convey your interests, I would have said that they did not have the right to pool your interests. I thought that might be easier for someone new to all these concepts to understand.

The reason they want to pool your land with other lands is to create a pool of acreage for the drilling of a well (possibly several). Your 150 acres is apparently not enough acreage minimally required under the State's regulations for the proposed well(s), so they want to bunch it up with other lands.

The reason they want you to ratify the lease is that the lease has a Pooling Clause in it. If you are not comfortable ratifying the lease, you might request a Pooling Agreement instead.

Having said all that, and I will humbly ask Buddy and Gary to help explain this one:

If the proposed well (and this applies to multiple wells if that is what they have in mind) is to be a Horizontal Well, where they drill down and then out, depending upon where your land lies in relation to where the proposed Surface Location, Bore Hole or Lateral and Bottom Hole Location will be located, you may not want to sign anything.

Some areas of Madison County have really prolific wells being brought in - you and your family may have some very good surprises in store. I would be happy to look up what is happening in the area around your lands and get that to you. What is the legal description on the lease you have been asked to ratify?

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

I like what Mr. Tooke and Mr. Cotton suggest. Don't sign a ratification now and wait for the Division Order Title Opinion Lawyer to find you. By that time you should have your own chain of title documents and can approve the Division Order for a definitive geologic zone. If you ratify a lease now the lessee gets all you have got for as long as they want to keep it and there is nothing left to doubt including your true rights.

With Horizontal wells, the surface location is meaningless. The point at which the well bore penetrates the producing zone, the track in the producing zone, and the bottom hole location are what define the ultimate unit that you want your minerals in to be paid.

Gary L Hutchinson

My situation in Fisher and Scurry counties is much like Mr. Bradford's, and I am equally unsure about my rights. (I'm a newbie and apologize for any breach of Forum procedures by jumping into the discussion, which is much appreciated. I'm amazed at the amount that I have learned from the folks who have already contributed. )

My story in Fisher county is this: I have just learned that I do not own the executive rights in the "bundle of sticks" for my properties, which includes both producing and non-producing interests in several parcels

I've been told that the executive rights for 66 acres have been bought and that I am now due payments based on a lease that apparently been made without my participation. Basically, I know nothing beyond the fact that the lease is now apparently with Kirkpatrick. However, I know nothing of the lease provisions or terms. I have not signed any documents, nor have I received any to sign.

All of my original documents dating from 1930 confirm that the executive rights were severed then, and that I own only the four remaining rights. My original 1930 documents confirm that the executive rights were retained by the original owner of the mineral interests,which total several hundred adjacent acres in Fisher and Scurry counties, some of which have been producing for 20 or more years. I own only a small interest in the total acreage.

This is a whole new leasing experience for me, and my understanding is that my only recourse is to await receipt of the monies due to me as a royalty interest-only owner. I'm equally unsure of whether I will receive any portion of the bonus money, although that is mentioned in the summary below which indicates that I am a "mineral owner".

Here's what I've been told by the landman, which may be useful to Mr. Bradford.

To summarize the nature of my inquiry with you; we have recently leased the parties that have executive rights on this section and I am contacting mineral owners without executive rights, such as yourself, in order to obtain current contact information so that we may send a check for their portion of the bonus consideration due.

1) Background Information To assist you in understanding your ownership in this section, I have put together some information from online resources to help explain the terms we talked about. I encourage you to research them if you have time so that you can fully understand your ownership in this section.

In Texas, a fee simple absolute ownership of the entirety of a parcel of land includes both a surface and mineral estate.

1 These two estates can be separated, as the Texas Supreme Court noted in Acker v. Guinn explaining that “[a] grant or reservation of minerals by the fee owner effects a horizontal severance and the creation of two separate and distinct estates: an estate in the surface and an estate in the minerals.”

2 The mineral estate consists of five interests: “(1) the right to develop (the right of ingress and egress), (2) the right to lease (the executive right), (3) the right to receive bonus payments, (4) the right to receive delay rentals, (5) the right to receive royalty payments.”

3 These attributes, when taken together, are often referred to as a “bundle of sticks,” and it has been recognized that individual “sticks” can be sold while others are retained.

4 In addition to being defined as one of the five rights of a mineral owner, the executive rights to lease have been defined by courts and treatises as the exclusive right to execute oil and gas leases.5 Reprinted by permission, Texas Tech Law Review, V. 42, No. 1, 2009. (http://www.haynesboone.com/executive_right_to_lease/)

Mineral Ownership: An interest in minerals in land, with or without ownership of the surface of the land. A right to take minerals or a right to receive a royalty.Mineral right is a term encompassing all the ways a person can have a possessory interest in minerals in the ground. It includes the right to enter the land and occupy it in order to remove the minerals.

Mineral rights can be retained when land is sold or conveyed, thus making it possible for someone to own the right to mine the minerals without owning the land. A right of entry onto the land can be held by the grantor who retains the mineral rights, or other arrangements can be made to gain access to the minerals.

Mineral rights can be leased or sold. A landowner who leases mineral rights often receives a royalty, or a percentage of the value of the minerals which are mined by the leaseholder. (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com)Royalty Interest: The proportional ownership interest by the owner of oil and gas rights in income produced by the asset. (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com)

Non-Participating Royalty Interest: Non-participating royalty has a well-understood meaning in the oil industry. It may be defined as an interest in the gross production of oil, gas and other minerals carved out of the mineral fee estate as a free royalty, which does not carry with it the right to participate in the execution of, the bonus payable for, or the delay rentals to accrue under oil, gas and mineral leases executed by the owner of the mineral fee estate. The exclusive-leasing privilege remaining in the mineral fee owner is commonly referred to and known as the 'executive right'.[Superior Oil Co. v. Vanderhoof, 307 F. Supp. 84, 89 (D. Mont. 1969)](http://definitions.uslegal.com/n/non-participating-royalty/)

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

I like what Mr. Tooke and Mr. Cotton suggest. Don't sign a ratification now and wait for the Division Order Title Opinion Lawyer to find you. By that time you should have your own chain of title documents and can approve the Division Order for a definitive geologic zone. If you ratify a lease now the lessee gets all you have got for as long as they want to keep it and there is nothing left to doubt including your true rights.

With Horizontal wells, the surface location is meaningless. The point at which the well bore penetrates the producing zone, the track in the producing zone, and the bottom hole location are what define the ultimate unit that you want your minerals in to be paid.

Gary L Hutchinson

Dear Mr. Bemis,

Your research is commendable and correct. If no bonus money has been received by you, typically the holder of the executive rights has committed fraud. I would begin with the oil company along with the executive (the one who signed the current lease).

Our current case covers thousands of acres spread over three counties.

This is really something that you need to get a lawyer involved in if your attempts fail.

Mr. Cotton --

Your comments and your blog, alone, make this Forum fascinating to follow. I appreciate your advice and hope tofollow through when I get little more information from the owner of the "executive rights" .

Thanks again,

Jim Bemis