Heir to mineral interest in howard county

I received a letter in regards to being an heir to my grandfathers/fathers mineral interest. They are offering me 4,450 dollars for 3 sections in block 32.

T&p rr co survey, t2n, sec 4, ab. 1064 T&p rr co survey, t3n, sec 40, ab. 1314 T&p rr co survey, t3n, sec 45, ab. 297 I don’t know anything about this I recieved a phone call a few years back and thought it was a scam. I’m active duty military and move alot. I have no idea what to do.

I understand your confusion especially if it is out of the blue. I would need to know a little bit more about what your questions and what you want to do with the mineral interest to steer you in the right direction.

I would like to have them in my name, but I think I’m going to need an affidavit of heirship. I looked up the abstracts below and Sabalo has been drilling in them since 2017 pulling hundred of thousands of barrels. I was able to find my grandfathers deed to the royalties from the 50’s, It is 1/32. I am wondering how much money is in suspense. If any.

Sabalo Operating LLC has several horizontal wells in Section 45, Abstract 297, Block 45, T-3North. Big El 45-04 1SH well, API 42-227-39187, and Big El 45-04 1AH well, API 42-227-38869, both under RRC Oil Lease 08-49234, list an A. Arnold Gillespie with an unknown address as a royalty owner. A. Arnold Gillespie is also listed for the The King 45-04 wells under RRC Oil Lease 08-49275.

Got a letter from enerlex trying to pay me $4450 for 3 abstracts below that belonged to my grandfather A. Arnold Gillespie. My father has passed also so I am the heir but have never did any paperwork. I would rather keep it in my family if possible . What is the process for this. I am active duty military and currently stationed in San Diego, CA and am always out to sea so it is going to be hard to go to Texas right now.

1. T&P RR Co Survey, T2N, Block 32, section 4, Ab. 1064
  2. T&P RR Co Survey, T3N, Block 32, section 40, Ab. 1314
  3. T&P RR Co Survey, T3N, Block 32, section 45, Ab. 297

Any assistance is very appreciated.

So what do you think?

Howard CAD Property Search 1

I would think there is more than $4450 in suspense, but it’s hard to know for sure without knowing exactly what you own now. There are a handful of companies that chase after “missing owners”, and they’re willing to do a lot of the leg work (they have to in order to get put into pay by the oil company). They have probably already made a guess at what you own, and will want to buy all of it, including the suspended royalty payments. But, they’ll also likely need your help (or someone in the family) to “prove” the ownership from your grandfather to you.

You are correct that an Affidavit of Heirship may be necessary. Luckily, you should not have to step foot in Howard County. The Affidavit of Heirship is typically used when the family member(s) died intestate, without a Will. If there was a Will that was admitted for probate, then your process will be different. You will need all that documentation. But, if that is not the case, the Affidavit should show the family history of your grandparents, then on to your parents, and how you are entitled to X percentage. Ideally, somebody with knowledge of the family history who doesn’t stand to gain from this would be the person signing the Affidavit.

If you want to sell, I’d suggest you get it all sorted out with Sabalo first. Work with them to figure out what is actually owned, get paid up for any past royalties, and then figure out what a reasonable price would be for the minerals. Or, just have it put on direct deposit (if they offer that), and collect the income as it comes in. If you don’t need the money now, it would likely be best to wait and sell in the future when commodity prices are higher.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.