Heir, Possibly more

My father passed away in 2005 (without his affairs I order, I was 20) and recently I was going through unclaimed money and stumbled across several ‘royalties’ he is/was entitled to.

I was able to locate one mineral well which is still producing he has ownership of in West Texas, and am in the process of trying to gain access to that (any help here would be greatly appreciated)

He worked as a landman and in oil fields all over west texas (and possibly oklahoma) in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

I am looking into finding, what all he may own and how much it could possibly be worth (juice worth the squeeze) I am willing to do the leg work I just need some direction in where and what to look for.

You should visit with a probate attorney in Texas to determine what steps need to be taken. You don’t necessarily need to find an attorney in the county where the minerals are located.

This post is not legal, investment or tax advice, it is for discussion purposes only. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney-client relationship.

1 Like

You could go to the on-line county deed records and search for his name to find any deeds or assignments into and/or out of him. You can often find a link to the deed records on the county clerk website. Start with just last name or last name and initial. Sometimes records are in full name and other times by initial. Sometimes landmen received an override on a lease or a working interest in a lease as a payment. In that case, the interest will last as long as the lease is still in effect. It is also possible that he found an owner who wanted to sell and could have purchased minerals.

1 Like

You can also check the unclaimed funds at the Texas Treasurer’s office and see if anything is being held there.

1 Like

In addition to Texas, check unclaimed property in the home state of the decedent. Also, since many companies are registered in Delaware check there too. This external link might be helpful: Nationwide Unclaimed Property Site

This post is not legal, investment or tax advice, it is for discussion purposes only. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney-client relationship.

1 Like

There’s a site called mineralholders.com You can search for his name and it will pull up any producing wells that he could have an interest in. Chances are, the accounts were placed in suspense when checks started going uncashed. Please note that mineralholders.com only covers producing interests in Texas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.