Grandma's Mineral rights

Hello, I am new to this group. I've been given the task of updating and inquiring about my late Grandmother's mineral rights. My mother (now almost 80) has presented me with a booklet of multiple "mineral interest" in various States and multiple counties in these States. I've begun to research as much on line as I can, but my basic questions are:

1) Are these "rights" still active?

2) How do I find out if activity has occurred on these sights?

3) What is the best procedure for contacting anyone working those sights?

My Grandmother passed away 12 years ago, my mother has moved several times, the old attorney in Mississippi (where they are from) which kept track of her interests has also passed away, so there has been no updates, correspondence or interests with these sites for many years.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Poor

(Granson of Ruth Brock Savage)

2905-MineralInventory.jpg (13.9 KB)

Michael:

You stated that these minerals are located in various States. Different States have different rules regarding mineral rights. In some States, if the minerals lay dormant over a say, 20 year period, they return to the original surface owner. Your case scenerio would require extensive research of records dealing with each State and yes, these minerals would still be active but the ownership would be the main question. One way to research these records would be to research records at each County Clerk office located in the county where the minerals are located. By doing this, you will be able to see whose name appears on the record.

Thank you for your suggestion, I spoke with one county in North Dakota and she gave us some suggestions as how to re-claim / update the mineral claims to update the "20 year" dormant policy.

charles s mallory said:

Michael:

You stated that these minerals are located in various States. Different States have different rules regarding mineral rights. In some States, if the minerals lay dormant over a say, 20 year period, they return to the original surface owner. Your case scenerio would require extensive research of records dealing with each State and yes, these minerals would still be active but the ownership would be the main question. One way to research these records would be to research records at each County Clerk office located in the county where the minerals are located. By doing this, you will be able to see whose name appears on the record.

Michael:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I have found that the County Clerk's offices will assist on a verbal basis but in order to do the ground work, generally it takes a trip to the office by either you or a representative. Good luck in your process.

Michael Poor said:

Thank you for your suggestion, I spoke with one county in North Dakota and she gave us some suggestions as how to re-claim / update the mineral claims to update the "20 year" dormant policy.

charles s mallory said:

Michael: