Getting the word out

Ok, there is not to many people on this Mineral Rights Forum for our area "slope", Just wondering if people dont know about this forum or maybe dont care what their neighbors are being offered. What do you guys have for ideas to get more people involved?

Josh,

There were other members and more discussions for Slope County, but a glitch with this website occurred, and some of it was lost. Chris S had cached some of it and posted, but much was lost.

I've heard Slope referred to as a sleepy county, not much action just yet. If you've gotten into looking at the GIS map on NDIC and look at the various T/R in Slope, you will notice many dry holes as well as canceled permits from decades ago. Initially I thought that meant doom for any mineral owner in Slope, but now I think they knew then; and know now, there is oil there. They just didn't have the technology or use horizontal drilling back at the time all the action was happening in Slope.

Lets hope that when drilling action begins, they find some amazing results and draws even more companies to come in to drill.

From what I can tell so far, the action in the NE corner has been mostly Marathon Oil. Chesapeake Oil has several various company names that are doing the leasing for them, but they're not currently drilling yet in Slope.

State Auction results for August 2011 in Slope were amazing prices. The upcoming State Auction for February 2012 has 17 parcels listed for Slope County. Both Marathon and Chesapeake were the key bid winners in Slope, for August, so it will be interesting to see which of them go for the new offerings in February.

With the high prices they paid for these State Minerals, it'd be my guess they will be drilling within the 5 year lease period.

I also think, they may be playing the situation to their advantage, to attempt getting as much mineral acres leased up at bottom prices, prior to drilling and hitting success, which then raises the bonus acre price demands. Blanca Peak-aka-Chesapeake Oil, really tackled leasing in Stark and Hettinger County's early in 2011, before they started drilling in the latter part of the year.

Best of luck to you,

Susan

Great observation Susan. I also believe that there are many people lurking, non-members following what happens in Slope. People also tend to drift away after they are leased or at least have their questions answered. If they left because they were leased they will probably be back if their lease expires without drilling. If you are disappointed by the lack of activity in the last 5 years, I'd say console yourself with the facts that you are likely to get better terms as to bonus and royalty and they drill/complete much better wells now. That wouldn't have been true if they came in like gangbusters in 2007.

Hi RW,

Much of this MRF is for area's outside of ND, so I would agree; that many people are lurking, in each of the ND counties, because of all the excitement this really is, to those with ND Minerals.

ND is not new to oil, in terms of first well in the 50's, yet with this Bakken Shale, nationwide; it has really sparked interest. I smile each time I read a new post of someone discovering they've inherited minerals from a relative and had no idea of them.

Lurking of course is a good thing, to a newbie especially; to learn anything and everything possible. I'm still learning each and every day I come here. Even though we are officially leased, I still enjoy this site and want to continue to learn all I can; especially for when that big day comes, and drilling begins on our mineral acres.

You make a good point about seeing the positive, in the companies not being able to drill everything all at once. Technology changes daily, so I am guessing wells drilled back in 2007 could have been even more productive, if they could've used some of 2012 technology they now have.

When they get to my families mineral acres, we all hope they have top notch employees on the job and do a mighty fine job. Even some of the added infrastructure that is supposed to be happening, will lessen the costs to getting the oil to market, and capturing the gas to sell.

I know you say oil is an appreciating asset to own, and it is; I think we are just anxiously waiting for it to happen in our mineral area. To know how many generations before us, wondered and hoped; I think we'll actually see it happen and get to reap some rewards from it.

Thanks for all the encouragement and the help you provide on this great website.

Susan

" but now I think they knew then; and know now, there is oil there. They just didn't have the technology or use horizontal drilling back at the time all the action was happening in Slope. "

Just a side thought as I read this. The price of oil also is the thing that makes using this technology feasible. I think as we wait it out, the cost will go down, and more interest will be generated.

Snues said:

Josh,

There were other members and more discussions for Slope County, but a glitch with this website occurred, and some of it was lost. Chris S had cached some of it and posted, but much was lost.

I've heard Slope referred to as a sleepy county, not much action just yet. If you've gotten into looking at the GIS map on NDIC and look at the various T/R in Slope, you will notice many dry holes as well as canceled permits from decades ago. Initially I thought that meant doom for any mineral owner in Slope, but now I think they knew then; and know now, there is oil there. They just didn't have the technology or use horizontal drilling back at the time all the action was happening in Slope.

Lets hope that when drilling action begins, they find some amazing results and draws even more companies to come in to drill.

From what I can tell so far, the action in the NE corner has been mostly Marathon Oil. Chesapeake Oil has several various company names that are doing the leasing for them, but they're not currently drilling yet in Slope.

State Auction results for August 2011 in Slope were amazing prices. The upcoming State Auction for February 2012 has 17 parcels listed for Slope County. Both Marathon and Chesapeake were the key bid winners in Slope, for August, so it will be interesting to see which of them go for the new offerings in February.

With the high prices they paid for these State Minerals, it'd be my guess they will be drilling within the 5 year lease period.

I also think, they may be playing the situation to their advantage, to attempt getting as much mineral acres leased up at bottom prices, prior to drilling and hitting success, which then raises the bonus acre price demands. Blanca Peak-aka-Chesapeake Oil, really tackled leasing in Stark and Hettinger County's early in 2011, before they started drilling in the latter part of the year.

Best of luck to you,

Susan

I'm new to this site. i have family owned mineral rights in slope county had dealings with Chesapeake and wasn't very good. i'm starting to look around to try to lease this 229 acres. if ya'll have any info sure would be appreciate thanks ed

ed frederick said:

I'm new to this site. i have family owned mineral rights in slope county had dealings with Chesapeake and wasn't very good. i'm starting to look around to try to lease this 229 acres. if ya'll have any info sure would be appreciate thanks ed .correction that was continental land resources

Does anyone have or have leased in center Slope Co. ND or know what is being offered or bid on per acre My family have a trust on approx 3000 acres in Slope Co. We have been offer some very low amounts the last few months> It would be nice to know what the going lease rate is now. Thank you Please whom ever reply

Jarold E Schmidt said:

Does anyone have or have leased in center Slope Co. ND or know what is being offered or bid on per acre My family have a trust on approx 3000 acres in Slope Co. We have been offer some very low amounts the last few months> It would be nice to know what the going lease rate is now. Thank you Please whom ever reply

If you can give a specific legal description, someone may be able to help you. Values and activity can be totally different outside a 5 mile radius. I also recommend you join the Slope county group. You could also offer what information you have, offers and operators.

Jarold E Schmidt said:

To answer how to attract people- I '''m thinking of publishing news articles in local Canadian papers nnear waypole and wawotta highlighting great topics from the forum and pointing people to ways to be informed. Some people just don't know how much they can negotiate. My.thoughts.

I have a ? How many know of the new method of fracking call Gel-Frak?? The two persons who developed this new none polluting method using liq. natural gas and a ordinay gel bio-degradable(same powder used to make Gel Packs using water and the powder to freeze and use in your cooler chests) and sold the use of it to Haliburten for approx. $2 Billion. This new product lets the fraker reuse the liquid gas and no chenicals are involved. The return of oil or gas is at around 85 to 90% of the total oil or gas from the Shale formation . The brother now live close to Lewistown MT

Jarold, there may be a new twist but I think they have been fracking with propane for awhile now. Jarold, not in any way trying to be mean, I think you need to look into this a little more because I'm pretty sure that they are talking about recovery of 85 to 90% of the gas, probably propane, they pumped down the hole. The article I read said it could take 8 million gallons of water for an average shale well. If you lost 15% of even 4 million gallons of propane, 600,000 gallons of propane, you can see where the price premium comes from, what if they need as much as they would with water? I.2 MILLION gallons of propane. Right now 10% recovery of the oil and gas from the shale would be considered fantastic, 85 to 90% and we could declare independence on imported energy within a couple months.

I just searched and read an article on GasFrack and they have been using it for more than 5 years and as of a year ago claimed that 1300 wells had been gas fracked in Canada and the US, that gas frack did appear to increase production but that the company doing the gas frack charges 50% more than the cost of a water frack. It's been around for 5 years and some operators are using it. If it's truly that beneficial, the operators will move to it on their own because they are the ultimate bean counters in my opinion.

I just read a second article, both say they are still using the slick chemicals but they claim that the chemicals do not come back up because the propane returns to gas when it flows back and everything else stays down in the hole. Laughable, everything down there is under pressure, is the oil and brine produced in flowback going to be in gaseous form? Why wouldn't they carry the chemicals back to the surface? You have to be careful what you read. Some of it is thinly veiled propaganda or advertisement. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I didn't so much learn anything new as become better informed about something I was vaguely aware of but I still found it interesting.

Jarold E Schmidt said:

I have a ? How many know of the new method of fracking call Gel-Frak?? The two persons who developed this new none polluting method using liq. natural gas and a ordinay gel bio-degradable(same powder used to make Gel Packs using water and the powder to freeze and use in your cooler chests) and sold the use of it to Haliburten for approx. $2 Billion. This new product lets the fraker reuse the liquid gas and no chenicals are involved. The return of oil or gas is at around 85 to 90% of the total oil or gas from the Shale formation . The brother now live close to Lewistown MT