Getting help and where to find it

I need to find out why I am not getting my royalties. Who can I hire especially since I am a small interest owner on multiple sections?

Do you have one or more leases with the same or different lessees? Do you have a list of the sections, with block and abstract numbers? Do you know whether there are producing wells on these minerals? Have you been sent division orders?

Are you a landman? What tools do you use to find out the answer to your questions ? In the past several years ive received division orders for the RI and some for the NRI. There were leases but i don’t know if the expired. I am not real familiar with the rrc gis, but i do see alot of production on the sections i have interest in. Drilling info is too expensive for me to pay since i am betting the money wont be well spent. Thinking if i can pay a cert landman that would be better since one operator refused to speak without an attorney. Long story.

Your State Comptroller should have the answers you need!

First, you need to have the legal description of each tract and a copy of any lease(s). Also pull all of the deeds into your name from the on-line deed records. The leases will not have expired if wells were drilled prior to the end of the primary term. Of course, depending on the terms, some depths or acreage may have expired if not drilled. Second, you can look at the RRC GIS Viewer or at the GLO GIS Viewer to see wells on the tracts. Third, you can research on-line deed records to see if the leases have been assigned and to which companies. It costs about $1 per page to purchase copies of deeds, leases, etc. Fourth, you need to determine exactly what fractional interest that you own within each tract, such as 1/10, 1/20, 1/100. Finally, if an operator wants you to have an attorney involved, then it would seem that you have a title problem or some other major issue. You may need a landman to research your title back through the estate or seller. If an estate was involved, then you can file a copy of the probate from any other county or state in the deed records. Consider joining NARO and accessing educational materials to learn about more about minerals.

1 Like

Thanks. I have done the maority of these. However filed deeds go far back and have certificate numbers, sec numbers and old names of the lease. How do i convert certificate numbers to api numbers?

Thanks for your help. I think i need a landman to do a complete identification of properties. I have most but not all. The attorney that filed a deed for me just copied and pasted old info, so i am in need of information i can actually keep track of on the GIS. That attorney did not verify.

Sally