Geothermal Energy Ownership Issues in Texas?

Happy 4th of July All! Now I’m hoping to learn more about Geothermal Energy and mineral rights and surface owner rights, etc. Awhile back I read an article about an outfit proposing to utilize geothermal energy from old oil wells - which sounds great! How would this play out for mineral owners & surface owners in Texas?

Thanks in advance for your time & efforts!

Ralpr

July 7, 2011 US Senate Bill S. 1147

SEC. 4. FACILITATION OF COPRODUCTION OF GEOTHERMAL ENERGY ON OIL AND GAS LEASES.

Section 4(b) of the Geothermal Steam Act of 1970

following: ‘‘(4) LAND SUBJECT TO OIL AND GAS LEASE.— Land under an oil and gas lease issued pursuant to the Mineral Leasing Act (30 U.S.C. 181 et seq.) or the Mineral Leasing Act for Acquired Lands (30 U.S.C. 351 et seq.) that is subject to an approved application for permit to drill and from which oil and gas production is occurring may be available for leasing under subsection (c) by the holder of the oil and gas lease— ‘‘(A) on a determination that— S 1142 IS

‘‘(i) geothermal energy will be produced from a well producing or capable of producing oil and gas; and ‘‘(ii) the public interest will be served by the issuance of such a lease; and ‘‘(B) in order to provide for the coproduction of geothermal energy with oil and gas.’’.

http://blog.energy.gov/blog/2011/03/17/innovative-geothermal-startup-will-put-carbon-dioxide-good-use