General question on deed

Hi all,

I have a mineral deed that states…

“Grantor shall receive an undivided 509/2200of a 1/32nd interest in a 160 acre section of land.

What is the actual NMA I own??

Based on just that tiny amount of information, I’d estimate ~1.1568 NMA, but that may or may not be the amount YOU now own.

1.1568 NMA assumes there weren’t any other owners or oddities down the line OR up the line. No unaccounted for brothers, cousins, mineral reservations, NPRIs, lawsuits, etc. A deed can look super specific on how many acres it’s deeding to the next person such as, “Grantee, Joe Smith, shall receive 10.394 net mineral acres from grantor, John Doe…” but if John Doe only actually had 5 NMA, Joe Smith probably didn’t just receive 10.394 NMA. All the other words in the deed really matter, and the chain of each title from one owner to the next really matters.

I’m also just an engineer who knows just enough to be dangerous on how land and title works. If there’s question on what you and significant value at stake, own you should probably reach out to an expert in land or title for clarification.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.