Gaines County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

You notation right here is interest: PS note on NE Gaines County - there is low thermal maturity in that part of the basin. This will negatively impact any success in true “shale plays”

Like I say I am a novice but doing my best to learn, seems like I have never heard anything negative about a “shale” play. It’s always intrigued me but I have not studied it in detail it nor spent time spent figuring out the intricacies like you mentioned - “NE Gaines County - there is low thermal maturity in that part of the basin. This will negatively impact any success in true "shale plays”,

Something else, I would have never guessed that small trend traveling thru at least three shale zones is a San Andres producing trend. It may have seemed like something normal to you but to me it was just odd, and the San Andres looked strange.

Michael Purify, Rock Man, et al, this is a nice article about Oxy CO2 activity in the Hobbs, NM area.

MRF discussion on Clearfork “shale”

The whole subsurface “state of affairs” with any prospective formation is ultra complicated. Especially in an area like the Permian Basin with all its complexities and intricacies.

Issues that impact “shale plays” (and technically these are not shales - but I won’t go into that here) are thermal maturity, clay content (brittleness or lack there of), organic types (oil vs gas kerogen) and overall thickness of target intervals versus frac barriers and/or wet intervals. Then you tie in operator related issues such as picking the right landing zone, staying in that zone along the lateral length, getting a good cement job on casing in the lateral and then performing an effective frac along the entire lateral. And then drilling out those frac plugs and doing a good job producing the well over time.

The San Andres trend / existence is tied to the original deposition of that formation and subsequent O&G migration and charged of traps in that trend. This is a true conventional play that has been tapped since the early days of Permian Basin production. Today operators are trying to suck out more O&G from the San Andres via horizontal drilling and stimulation as well as chasing the ROZ interval in certain areas. There is also a lot of effort in the San Andres tied to secondary and tertiary recovery (using water and /or CO2 to help strip out more O&G).

As noted earlier, the Permian Basin is a very complicated playground.

AJ, good article on CO2 and OXY - thanks for posting that. The cost per BO for this approach was an interesting number. I wonder if that includes SWD and all other operating costs>

On to the Clearfork Shale item - Diamondback tried chasing that a few years ago in Andrews Co. Lots of science (core, high tech logs) plus drilled a couple of state of the art laterals.

Results were less than economic - just not enough oil in place in stimulated intervals to support horizontal drilling. But with higher prices, you never know if this play will become viable.

The following is a sponsored (paid) promotional notice:

If you own minerals in Texas or New Mexico, consider attending the NARO – Texas convention in San Antonio July 18-20, 2018. They have a great agenda, good speakers, and the cost is reasonable. This year also includes a special session for New Mexico mineral owners. The current agenda draft is attached, and a link to their signup and information page is http://www.naro-us.org/event-2824234

Attachment: 2018-04-30%20-%20NARO-TX%20Convention%20Agenda%20%28Hyatt%29%20invi…

Kelli, at one point in time your asking who Cimmeron was leasing for in Gaines County.

It was Tomahawk Oil Production out of Midland, they really pursued the ‘shale’…including Eagle Ford & couple of other. Initially they were doing ok, then something went wrong then the filed bankruptcy around 1992…then reorganized and started over, not sure what there deal is now.

Evidently they were Leasing a lot in Gaines, not sure if in one sport but all over the place. I was told years ago when they were leasing was they thought they had located a ‘shale play’. Not sure where, but they were leasing from me sec13,sec12 & sec7…which in the northeast portion of the County, near the Adair unit.

But he didn’t specifically say they thought it was under my stuff, something I assumed. Could have been talking about other area of Gaines. Cannot remember the exact conversation but Sec.12 seem to be something special from what they were seeing.

Hello

Last year a land man for Tomahawk ( allegedly ) leased a half section from my family on land a couple of miles northwest of Cedar Lake. So far, no other activity on it.

$40,000. for 5 acres,cannot relocate it, Was it posted in the Gaines County section or Roger Mills–sound more like Roger Mills.

If anyone knows right off hand where it is, I would really appreciate it if you would pass it on.

that’s interesting… appreciate it.

Have no idea who Sabinal is but about to find out.

Joe Kell… tried to look you up on ‘linekedin’ but could not find you…its new to and still trying to get a hande on it.

i do not even know how my name got on there.

Getting OXY personell from different departments.

One of the most impotant was location a guy from Monroe Lousiana thats working with OXY on that pipeline. If i can find out exactly where that line is going plus the possibility of it extending off of the main to other sectors i will have a better what to ask for my Minerals or Mineral Lease

What’s happened to Chevron in Gaines?

Has anybody heard their name one single time:

Before OXY they were in with Amarada Hess on some big stuff, probably because they could Amarada’s pipeline to processing plant…apprx 8 miles away, just a guess on the distance. This was not a small processing plant, it was huge for that area…almost like a little city.

Wonder if Chevron was moved out with Amarada when OXY purchased? or maybe i’ve just missed it, but have not heard anything from anybody, even employees from other companies have not mentioned them-not once.

it’s Texas, the very south west county in the state bordering New Mexico…you guys probably knew it . Did not google, but looks like an area that might have about 332 total citizens if El Paso is not connected.

Somthing else…Chevron & Amarada (may have just been Amarada) had plans to enlarge the processing plant around 2000. A big expansion, then everything fell thru with Amarada’s & Chevrons project that year…they thought production would increase to such a large extent.

To this day, over 18yrs, i still think something happened between Apache & Chevron over not moving forward, Amarada was stuck in the middle.

RRC production data query shows Chevron and Chevron Mid Continent as operators in the year 2010, but neither are listed for 2018. A search indicates Sabinal bought properties in several counties from Chevron in 2017.

Back in February of this year, a landman representing Ring Energy was looking to lease right we own in S/W 1/4 of Section 18, Block A-21, PSL Survey, Gaines County, Texas. They went silent. Has anyone recently received an offer to lease in this area?

sec 63 block ax PSL survey ???????????????????????????????? lease seemingly not extended Gaines county thanks 180 net minerals

Would anyone here be interested in Section 154, Block G?

Cindy, look under the Home tab above. Generally no solicitation allowed because the owners depend on advertising to support the site, plus it undercuts the spirit of the site which is to exchange information.