Gaines County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Link to J. Cleo Thompson well south of Labor 284

Evening! I have been looking through old posts and have found some very useful answers so I’m hopeful someone may have a suggestion for me.

My family was approached, late 2016/early 2017 to lease our mineral rights. It appeared to be a good contract, but unfortunately the funding fell through,and we lost contact with the landman.

We have about 1000 acres in Gaines Co. League 284. If anyone has a suggestion, please reach out.

Thanks!

This Interactive Drilling Permit Map is easy to use. Enter a date range, click on the submit button, and then zoom in on your area of interest.

Gaines%20A-328%20Schleicher%20area.JPG

In looking at the area around the Schleicher lease, it appears Continental Resources has been doing the leasing for the last 16 months.

CONTINENTAL RESOURCES LLC P.O. BOX 2170 Edmond, OK 73083

Thank you for these suggestions, then were all very helpful. I spoke to Hunt Oil and Continental Resources and it appears we are out of their immediate interest, however, suggested to keep following up every few months, as interests change.

That is quite a distance from A-20 Sec 9 where I believe another land company has leased on behalf of Oxy. I believe other lands have been leased west and southwest of Seminole. This would tend to confirm the very large amount of acreage I have heard mentioned. I have also heard the target area is bewildering like a Chinese checkerboard pattern. I would hazard a guess that the sticking point had to do with deductions?

Post-Production Cost Deductions in Texas–Part II

Anyone have any information on Oxy using a number of land companies to lease a large chunk of Gaines county? CO2 Clearfork project?

I recently rejected an XTX lease offer in A-1005. The bonus of $750/acre was generous for this part of Gaines, but we couldn’t reach agreement on the lease addendum. I think XTX is leasing for Oxy in this area East and Southeast of Loop.

XTX%20leases%20near%20Cedar%20Lake.JPG

All the green dots indicate XTX leases recorded in the last 60 days near Cedar Lake (source: DrillingInfo)

Searching “X T X OPERATING LLC” on TexasFile.com yields nine pages of recordings dating back to April 11, 2017. I can see how someone might see the collective target area as resembling a Chinese checkerboard after viewing your drillinginfo image. In Clint Liles drilling permits post a Zarvona Energy has permitted a number of directional wells with depths of 6500’. Clearfork? My info quest which is focused more south of Seminole has revealed leasing in BLK A-20 Secs 1,2,5,7,and 9; Blk A-21 Secs 1, 5, 20, 21, and 22; Blk A-22 Secs 1,2,8,9, and 10; Blk C-44 Secs 20 and 21; Blk AX Sec 1 and 2.

Donald, am trying to find an attorney to write a lease for me and would appreciate your letting me know who you used. Most lawyers i talk to don’t sell the leases but want to negotiate the lease instead. Thanks very much

Many thanks for both the suggestions.

Ann, Buddy Cotten is a forum expert and advertiser and might have oil lease forms for sale. http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/profile/BuddyCotten

One thing to consider, leases need to be be updated when there are changes in case law, etc.

Ann,

I have been extremely happy with Joe Christina, who is a Texas Oil and Gas Attorney with Porter Rogers Dahlman and Gordon in Corpus Christi.

http://www.prdg.com/

I inherited my fathers mineral rights in Gaines county. And I know absolutely nothing about leasing. Can anyone tell me how to figure what percentage I would have in a particular section?

Thanks

Jean Merrell

Not a Land Man, a retired CPA from Midland, TX.

I was quail hunting with some head guys who were talking about their largest USA drilling prospect. Without saying anything to them I figured out how to purchase minerals under this project.

I am from Levelland, Tx; strictly an oilfield town so I grew up around this stuff, and had a basic knowledge of the fundamentals.

The info I now get from OXy, Apache, Amarada, etc. are guys I went to high school with.

Ring Energy hz San Andres permits south of Seminole. Are the deeper wells targeting a ROZ? Is “M” a lucky letter for a lease name or ?

Michael Purify, Is it one large drilling prospect of one company in Gaines county, or is the drilling prospect shared by multiple companies? I believe Oxy bought Hess’ properties in Gaines last summer for $600 million, and Apache has its huge Alpine High prospect in Reeves county. Has Oxy been leasing in a large target area of more than 100,000 acres in Gaines? How did you adequately inform yourself about the subsurface of your acquisition?

I spoke with landman who was leasing for Oxy south of Seminole. He indicated Oxy was pursuing a Clearfork CO2 project. Ring Energy also has horizontal San Andres activity.

Ring Energy has a lot of land in Gaines, too. So there is conventional SA hz drilling, and there is also depressurization of the San Andres ROZ as well as greenfield San Andres ROZ flooding with CO2 . If my source was correct, there is also Clearfork CO2 in the works. Oxy is the CO2 king, so it would be interesting to learn if the pipeline is for CO2. The Hess acquisition would seem to be a ‘bolt on’ for scaling.

The guy I get OXY info wants to purchase a few minerals from me, so he has been solid so far.

OXY getting into that area really surprised me, as a matter of fact it was a shocker. The only time I really followed OXY was in the Levelland (Hockley County area). They purchased a huge what was thought to be a depleted field from Amoco and did some amazing things based on what you just said.

Here is a comment re OXY & co2/flooding, etc.

n 2017, OXY’s United States operations produced 304 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (1,860,000 GJ) per day, representing 50% of the company’s worldwide production. Substantially of this production was in the Permian Basin, where Occidental is the largest operator and oil producer. The company produced 141 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (860,000 GJ) per day from unconventional oil via Permian Resources and 150 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (920,000 GJ) per day using a technique called enhanced oil recovery, whereby carbon dioxide and water are injected into underground formations to extract the oil and gas.[1]