Found out that I own mineral rights, now what

I was just approached via letter by a land services company offering to acquire a lease for mineral rights I had no idea I had. When I talked to them, they said it was my dad’s and is now mine. I never even heard of this before I received the letter, and I have no idea where to begin. The land is in NW Louisiana. The landman has told me for two days that he would send me copies of all of the paperwork, but I haven’t received anything yet. How do I find out more information? My husband is convinced I am being scammed, but I’m not so sure. Please help.

It would be a good idea to post this question in the Louisiana category in the proper parish and folks there may be able to help you. Leasing may be slowing down right now due to oil prices. Was there a will that was probated? You need to have clear title before you can lease. Do not sign that draft will unless you completely understand it. Many of the clauses will probably need some negotiation as they are currently in the lessee’s favor not yours. Go to the Mineral Help Tab at the top and do some reading there.

Thank you! I will try to find the Louisiana category on here to re-post. I did get the paperwork this morning. It was my grandmother’s interest and was passed down to my dad and aunts upon her passing. After reading the court papers, I do remember my dad telling me about it. That portion of it is free and clear, however, I’ve not gone to the courts after my dad’s passing. I do appreciate your help and will continue on in the Louisiana section.

Go to the home page and then scroll down the Categories list on the left. Then into the parish list. Louisiana has Napoleonic law (you are probably aware). You need to get the title into the proper heirs names quickly. You also have to claim your mineral rights every ten years or the surface owner can claim them and get the royalties and lease bonuses that you would have wanted. You probably need to get an attorney and get this fixed immediately.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.