First time Mineral Rights Owner

Since I learned about an inheritance to mineral rights to lots 1&2 & 1/2 2 section 31 township 10n range 8w I have been all over the web to learn more about it. I have found that the whole thing has a language of its own that’s very confusing to me. I’m attempting to learn who is the trustee to the trust and am just even more confused! Is there a download somewhere with some definitions? I am a fairly educated person but just WOW!

Welcome to the forum and the oil business!

From the description, are you in Grady County, OK?
You will find help in the Mineral Help tab above. All read the BLOG category.

Here is an article that I wrote that will be coming out in the next NARO OK newsletter. It has lots of places to find information. OK newsletter September 2019 Where Can I Find .docx (15.3 KB)

Schlumberger has a nice dictionary online https://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com

Do you need an article on how to read location information?

1 Like

Hello, I’m told Grady county, OK. In town of minco. And absolutely, I would be grateful for any resources you could think of. I’m the nerd in the family and tend to simply devour any new subject I’m given. I will use the links above in the next day., I want to be prepared for the court and must find a good but affordable attorney asap. She filed and it’s already hairy. And as always thank you so very much for all your help and support. Your a angel amongst us. M.

There are several attorneys listed in the Directory above. You will need one who is familiar with OK and licensed to practice there.

Here is an article on how to read section-township-range data in OK.

S-T-R Legal Land Descriptions in OK_Kletke-1.pdf (59.7 KB)

Simple probate cases are often handled on a flat fee. Also in uncontested matters there is no need to travel to Grady county. Unless of course you have a hankering for an onion burger from JW Grill in Chickasha.

I have inherited some gas wells and got a pooling order and I’m lost

Welcome to the forum. First of all, you need to post the state, county and then section, township and range or abstract. Then we can point you in the right direction. If you are in OK, then post quickly as you only have 20 calendar days in which to answer the pooling.

Johnston OK 17 004S 004E / 009 / 016

Why do I get so many letters in one day showing different NRI interest? Not that I know what that is.

Thanks, Kristie

And section 004. Sorry left that one off

Do you have minerals in sections 4, 9, 16, and 17? If so, then you have different amounts of acres in each section. NRI is Net Revenue interest or sometimes is Net Royalty Interest.

What does it say at the top of the letters? Does it say Division Order or does it say Pooling Order? If pooling order, what is the case number? Are the letters coming from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission or from XTO?

Did you just inherit? Do you have the probate documents? Have they been filed in Love County Courthouse?

A bit of history for those sections. XTO has drilled quite a few wells there in the last few years. Trying to figure out what set of documents you have to direct you in the correct direction for how to proceed.

Man oh man. They said the history was so old they didn’t have much. I was passed down to my dad and he passed so they found me. I haven’t got any deed or anything. I learned about all of this in June. On the pooling I chose the higher interest.

OK, so you answered the pooling in a timely fashion and now you are receiving Division Orders. Once a well comes online, the operating company engages an attorney to trace the title of every owner in order to pay them properly. This document is called the Division Order Title Opinion. (DOTO) Those owners with clear title receive a division order. In OK, you do not have to sign them, but I always do in order to leave my family a paper trail. However… You need to check and make sure it is correct. The Decimal amount should be: net acres/spacing acres (actual) x royalty x % of perforations in your section. It also needs to be a simple DO, preferably in the NADOA form. If you have a two page long one that tries to charge your lease, do not sign it. Make sure it has a phrase that says “This Division Order does not change any terms of the lease” (in your case, it would be the pooling order which is a form of a short lease) If the numbers are correct, the sign and return by certified mail. Keep a copy of the DO and the receipt from the mailing.

1 Like