Federal judge orders Sunoco Logistics to pay $155 million

A federal judge ordered Sunoco Logistics to pay interest and punitive damages totaling about $155 million on nearly 1.6 million late payments it made over a period of about eight years to 53,000 royalty owners in wells across Oklahoma.

The ruling was handed down this week in a lawsuit brought by Perry Cline, an Oklahoma farmer who asserted the company wasn’t paying customers what they were owed.

The judge concluded Sunoco decided not to pay owed interest on late payments for oil purchases involving well owners, unless each customer specifically requested to receive the compensation.

“Since most well owners do not know they can get the payment, few request their interest and Sunoco keeps the money. It amounts to millions of dollars each year,” wrote U.S. District Judge John A. Gibney, Jr.

2 Likes

The statute says they have to pay. Hope other companies take notice. Cimarex got in trouble for the same thing. They were also ordered to pay.

How do people find out if they’re a part of the 53,000 owners that are affected?

2 Likes

Definitely, would like to know if we’re one of the 53,000.

1 Like

Well, this is just in the nick of time. Hope other oil companies are reading this.

1 Like

Very interesting case. The judge found that company had a duty to pay royalties and interest even if not requested by the mineral owner.

Since the order to pay, I wonder how long this process will take to distribute? Does anyone have any idea?

Just guessing that there will be an appeal. If no appeal, then 6 months or so, like everything else in the O&G business.

There’s a website for the case here:

Who is included?

By Order dated October 3, 2019, the Court certified the following Class:

All non-excluded persons or entities who: (1) received Untimely Payments from Defendants (or Defendants’ designees) for oil proceeds from Oklahoma wells on or after July 7, 2012, and (2) who have not already been paid statutory interest on the Untimely Payments. An “Untimely Payment” for purposes of this class definition means payment of proceeds from the sale of oil production from an oil and gas well after the statutory periods identified in OKLA. STAT. tit 52, §570.10(B)(1) (i.e., commencing not later than six (6) months after the date of first sale, and thereafter not later than the last day of the second succeeding month after the end of the month within which such production is sold). Untimely Payments do not include: (a) payments of proceeds to an owner under OKLA. STAT. tit 52, §570.10(B)(3) (minimum pay); (b) prior period adjustments; or © pass-through payments.

The persons or entities excluded from the Class are: (1) agencies, departments, or instrumentalities of the United States of America or the State of Oklahoma; (2) publicly traded oil and gas companies and their affiliates; (3) persons or entities that Plaintiffs counsel may be prohibited from representing under Rule 1.7 of the Oklahoma Rules of Professional Conduct; and (4) officers of the court.

How do we know if we were one of Sunoco people? Sunoco was and is paying on quite a few of my wells but now have turned some over to Transoil Marketing. I don’t know who’s paying on the others. Is it Sunoco as payor that is the problem or Sunoco as operator? and do we look at statement dates they are paying on to decide as to whether they were late? Also does anyone deal with XTO? They are paying me $1 a month interest on a well and keep paying me for wells from 2014-2019 during the 2020 payments. Whats up with that? Aren’t those late payments? they do not identify what the interest payment is and when calling them I asked them to please put the name of the well and what the total amount is of the interest is as I’d like it all at one time…and why paying $1 a month on it on the statement . So have to go thru email to their people handling problem, set screened and get a email back that their working on it. Anyone else think their statements are difficult to read?

Did anyone every answer this question? How do people find out if they’re a part of the 53,000 owners that are affected?

If you have ever been paid by Sunoco, you are part of the deal. If you have never received money from Sunoco, you probably are not.

Sunoco is not an operator, only a purchaser. If you have been paid in the past by Sunoco, chances are you will get a few bucks. If you haven’t ever been paid by Sunoco, chances are you won’t get anything. The best way to deal with payments is by sending certified mail to the party you have questions with. E-mails and phone calls get lost in the shuffle.

anyone have any information on the Sunoco settlement and how to make sure we are on the lists? I guess this is for Canadian County.

If you received a case notice by mail, then you may be a part of the class. If you did not, then they may not have a correct address for you or you may not have met the requirements of the class action. See the “who is included” note above.

Is this specifically for Sunoco Logistics or all Sunoco companies such as Sunoco Partners Marketing and Terminals?

Use the link above to read the case. See the front page of the case. The documents they mail out frequently list other affiliates.

Well cheftain verses Enervest was finally settled, only went on since 2008 ,

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.