Farmers 1929 Royalty And Oil and Gas Leases in Oklahoma

Newbie to this process, but I’m really in need of help. My family has been receiving royalty payments from Farmers Royalty for many years. My older cousin was acting as trustee and we could never get information. Recently I went to court and appointed PR. I did hire an attorney, but it seems like he’s backed off talking. He sent me 3 oil and gas leases, signed in 1920’s but has not said anything about them.

The leases were to a MB Stewart and O.F. Battles, and R.W. Riddles & Company. I really need to know where to start with these leases, and what questions to ask the skid dish lawyer. Farmers won’t provide a copy of the mineral deed, but I think the oil company was Flag Oil Co.

Seems if you get a royalty payment it should be something else involved. Farmers has not been helpful, as a matter of fact just the opposite.

Sorry for the long post, but I really need some guidance. Thank you for anything you guys can provide.

Veretta, don't worry about a long post, they will get longer probably before you get real help.

From your post, I can't tell if there is a problem? Or if you just want to make sure you are receiving your just due?

I'll start with the easy one. Deeds should be recorded in the county in which the property lies. You should be able to get a copy from the county recorders office.

If on the off chance you are talking about an assignment of the leases between oil companies, those may or may not be recorded.

The lawyer is another matter. Sometimes they are just looking for some billable hours. Likely your leases were recorded at the county recorders office and you could have obtained copies or certified copies yourself.

It would help to know what questions you have about the leases, give us a little something to go on and maybe we can help.

Sorry to be so vague, but I really don’t know what to ask. I’m trying o figure out what the royalties are paid for, and if the leases were ever drilled. Since they are so old were they ever collected on, and where I should begin to look.

I can not find any Information relative to the individuals mentioned, RW Riddles and Company, MB Stewart, and OF Battles on the lease or if there are oil companies associated with them. Has anyone heard of these individual? Been unable to find the mineral deed to know what it says. Any idea where to look?. Thank you for any help.

r w kennedy said:

Veretta, don’t worry about a long post, they will get longer probably before you get real help.

From your post, I can’t tell if there is a problem? Or if you just want to make sure you are receiving your just due?

I’ll start with the easy one. Deeds should be recorded in the county in which the property lies. You should be able to get a copy from the county recorders office.

If on the off chance you are talking about an assignment of the leases between oil companies, those may or may not be recorded.

The lawyer is another matter. Sometimes they are just looking for some billable hours. Likely your leases were recorded at the county recorders office and you could have obtained copies or certified copies yourself.

It would help to know what questions you have about the leases, give us a little something to go on and maybe we can help.

If you are receiving royalty payments, not delay rentals, it's been drilled.

The mineral deed should be available from the county recorders office in the county in which the minerals lie.

Thank you for your answer. Seems like I'm making a visit to Bryant county when the weather clears up so I can try and find some more information.

The leases say 1/8 of raw oil and gas. Is it likely there are payments from some oil companies somewhere? My grandfather died shortly after the leases were signed. Unfortunately, without leaving a will or much information at all. Kinda like we stumbled on this.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but all this is really new for me, and I understand if there are questions that can not be answered freely.

Has anyone ever heard of R.W. Riddle & Company or any of the others mentioned before?

Veretta, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of questions implied by the existence of a single lease, much less three. Due to the ages of the leases and the fat that there has been production which is evident because you are receiving royalty checks. Royalty checks may have clues, the name of the well or API number.

Any information you can give may be helpful. You may want to join the Bryant county group because someone there may live next to your wells. Look under groups just below the header of this page.

Thank you Mr Kennedy:

Since I have just received the PR for this matter, I have yet to receive the check, but am expecting one soon, and will look closely. I'll look at the Bryant county group again and continue to educate myself with other posts until I get the check. I do have the land description if that would be helpful. I tried to look on the OCC for descriptions but the leases are so old they don't go back that far, so I'll have to write letters.

S1/2 of se1/4 of NE1/4 of S4 T6S R11E. If this doesn't help I'll have to wait till I receive the check.

r w kennedy said:

Veretta, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of questions implied by the existence of a single lease, much less three. Due to the ages of the leases and the fat that there has been production which is evident because you are receiving royalty checks. Royalty checks may have clues, the name of the well or API number.

Any information you can give may be helpful. You may want to join the Bryant county group because someone there may live next to your wells. Look under groups just below the header of this page.

Veretta, Oklahoma is not my most familliar area but that description may rings some bells with someone.

Ok its been a long time, but I found the mineral deed, and have been trying to find out from Farmers who they have been paying for the mineral lease. We have been receiving dividend payments and not royalty payments. I found the land, and it has a red 4 or 5" pipe sticking out of the ground. The attorney went to court and got off the case for no reason, but said that if we didn't sell our shares of stock from Farmers, he was going to drop me. Anyway, can anyone please help.