Fair Market Value and Equity Value

My sisters and I inherited the mineral rights to Township 162 N, Range 93 West of the 5th P.M., section 32 back in 2017. The state of Montana wants the Fair Market Value from a landman or broker, and the Equity Value with any legal encumbrances and income agreements and contracts. How do I go about doing that? There hasn’t been any activity on the Lease since 2012 that I know of. If I don’t get this taken care of, I could lose my housing and other benefits since I am disabled and not working. I forgot to mention the rights are in Burke County, where my father’s mother’s family homesteaded in the 1800s. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Susan,

I haven’t worked directly with the state of Montana but I’ve been working with case workers in Oklahoma who have accepted my FMV opinion on cases like this (rather than a landman or broker). They’re likely asking for this because there are no producing wells on the property to use a 36-month revenue multiple (or whatever standard Montana has) to place a valuation.

It will depend on how many acres you own though, so we’ll need a little more information (or research), but we can get something to you quickly to use once we have that info. Feel free to email me. I do these things free of charge when there are aid benefits at risk.

1 Like

If you are under 65, you may want to consider a first party special needs trust. If you are in a nursing home or receiving Medicaid you should visit with an elder law attorney in Montana about your options.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.