Fair Compensation to Landowners for Underground Natural Gas Storage

My specific forum interest is the issue of unfair compensation to landowners for underground natural gas storage. This issue has never been fairly addressed at both the federal and state levels. At the federal level, the FERC is using the 1938 gas act to illegally issue permits for underground storage. The gas act was written for pipelines only and not for underground storage. The FERC is allowing gas companies to take over private landowners' property for underground storage by eminent domain and illegal "Perpetual Leases." this is a violation of the 5th amendment.

My family's property is in Mississippi. My family was coerced by a gas company into signing a Perpetual Lease which allows the gas company to store natural gas under our property forever.

The Mississippi State Supreme court has spoken against perpetual leases, however, the state legislature has not passed legislation outlawing perpetual leases for underground natural gas storage. My research indicates that only two states (Mississippi and Vermont) don't have legislation outlawing perpetual leases. Legislation needs to be passed ASAP outlawing perpetual leases for underground natural gas storage.

The gas company that my family has a lease with made 84.7 million dollars on underground storage in 2012. My family received no compensation.

This is a nationwide issue. There are only about 400 locations in the continental U.S. that can be used for underground storage. In all 400 locations no landowners are being compensated for their extremely valuable resources. The issue of compensation needs to be addressed and corrected ASAP. Landowners should receive both retroactive and future compensation for underground storage under their property.

l totaly agree with my best regards to you sr.

Agree with you

thanks alex for taking the time to read and reply. i am not against underground natural gas storage but i am trying to expose the corrupt issue of unfair compensation to landowners. i have tried to work with state and federal legislators to encourage legislation to correct the corruption with underground natural gas storage. if you ever write your senators and congressmen, please mention your support for fair compensation to landowners for underground natural gas storage.

claude bowie, jr.

We’re about to star having that problems, hope not, But will see¡! My best regards to you.

You need a plan, a strategy that at least has half a prayer.

Contact and sign up all landowners with the same problem so you have strength.

Then get fair laws passed in each state.

How else would you do it?

thanks robert,

i have tried to contact individual landowners that have property within the storage area of the "Jackson Field" underground storage field where my property is located in rankin county, MS.

however, i have found this to be a very difficult process. land changed hands, people have passed away and different heirs etc. It is even more difficult to get landowner info in other states. i was able to get landowner info from the FERC website but I think they have limited access to landowner complaints.

what is really needed is national exposure of this corruption by national media like 60 minutes, Vice TV, or Bloomberg.